Menu

Math sequence for non-stem, finishing alg 1 in 8th grade

My dd is in 8th grade and is finishing algebra 1 with Lials.  She used AoPS for pre-algebra and loved it but hit a wall when using AoPS for algebra.  She ended up with Lials algebra 1.  Since we are pretty sure she will not be a STEM student, I was wondering what I should do. 

I just remember taking: Geometry 9th, Alg 2/Trig 10th, pre-calculus 11th and AP Calculus 12th.

If she used Lials for Algebra 2 9th, geometry 10th, then what should she take for 11th and 12th?  Would she need to take Trig for the whole year in 11th and pre-calculus 12th?

If she is college bound:

I would suggest Geometry in 9th-- Geometry uses Algebra 1 and allows brain to mature before reviewing and going deeper in Algebra 2.

Algebra 2 in 10th

Pre-Calc in 11

Statistics in 12

If she is not college bound I would suggest working Pre-Calc over 2 years or just doing College Algebra (Pre-Calc minus Trig) and a business math course.

* Pre-Calc is a combination of one semester of College Algebra and one semester of Trig.

Trig is not needed if she is not going into a STEM field (unless there is another reason she will need a calculus based physics in college). Statistics is more useful.

Edited by Jann in TX
  • Like 8

My first ds did precalc and then stats (both dual enrollment)

My second ds did college algebra and will do stats (both de)

First ds is a college freshman now. He is a business major and he has found stats extremely useful in his other classes, even though it is not a requirement or prerequisite.

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 1

It would mostly depend upon the college(s) your child is looking at.

Some colleges (like William and Mary) prefer calculus over stats -- even for non-STEM majors.  They want to see kids who challenge themselves

Other schools will not care.

I don't regret not taking calculus ;)  I do regret not CLEPing math in college.

So, for my kids who may not be headed into a STEM degree (right now, that leaves my 10yo and my 8yo), I'll be preparing them to test out of math in college (Calculus, AP Stats, College Algebra), whatever that is.

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone's insight!  I was toying around with having her study geometry next.  I'm hoping that things go well with geometry.  Since she had such a hard time with algebra, I'm a little apprehensive about the future.  I do want her to do proofs, so I have Jacob's geometry 2nd ed. and Jurgensen and am hoping that one of these is a good fit.  I never took statistics but I do like that suggestion. 

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone's insight!  I was toying around with having her study geometry next.  I'm hoping that things go well with geometry.  Since she had such a hard time with algebra, I'm a little apprehensive about the future.  I do want her to do proofs, so I have Jacob's geometry 2nd ed. and Jurgensen and am hoping that one of these is a good fit.  I never took statistics but I do like that suggestion. 

You may want to look at other Math resources (for example Fresh Approach) see the pinned Math thread.

If she survived AoPS Pre-Algebra then I believe she should be able to take on the next levels using a "normal" text.