Menu

Classically Catholic Memory

JMG221

I was wondering if anyone has experience with Classically Catholic Memory. I am leaning towards using it for my 1st grader next year. For those that have used it, what did you like anx dislike? How was the quality of the cd? Did you base your history and science on the memory work? Does it line up well with Story of the World?

We tried it. I think we tried it twice, actually. It really is JUST memory work, and I can't recall why exactly I ditched it, but I remember feeling disappointed overall. I did not care for the CD. The timeline cards were beautiful, though.

I much preferred Catholic Schoolhouse (for a memory work base) over CCM. The timeline cards are, imo, just as nice and the CDs are much better. It doesn't really match up with a four-year rotation, unless you were to really stretch out the CSH years. The art was great. 

However, I ditched that one, too, and I'm ultimately happier to create my own memory work, using Memoria Press' recitation as a base. I add to that as well, so I may just have expectations from memory work programs that aren't realistic :p

If you want details about why I ditched CSH, they are many. 

Edited by AimeeM
  • Like 3

LOL, Aimee! 

I was wondering if anyone has experience with Classically Catholic Memory. I am leaning towards using it for my 1st grader next year. For those that have used it, what did you like anx dislike? How was the quality of the cd? Did you base your history and science on the memory work? Does it line up well with Story of the World?

There's a local small group of moms who use it as a base for their co-op. They've been happily using it for several years (4?). For a large number of reasons, I'm not a member - but mainly because I tweak everything. They base a lot of their studies on CCM and I don't.

So, I didn't use the CDs although I own them. I didn't like how they were put together. I use the timeline cards, although I don't use them all and I don't have my kid memorize ALL of them every year. We memorize the portions that go along with our history for that year and then build onto it the following year. (That has meant that two of my kids know the last 1/4 and much of the 1st 1/4 of them. My youngest two are learning the first 1/4 this year and will add the second 1/4 next year.) We don't use the other history portions at all, so I can't comment on them. The cards don't line up exactly, but you do end up covering a lot of the same material - just not at the same time (sometimes before & sometimes after we cover it in SOTW - which is great since it provides built-in review!).

I used the science memory work extensively a couple of years ago and enjoyed it.

And, well, that was it. I didn't use the geography or religion stuff at all since I have my own methods & madness there. I cherry picked a couple of the memory work selections.

If you decide to go with it, I'd suggest JUST getting the Teacher Manual and maybe the timeline cards (because they are nice). If you really, really like it after awhile, you can add the other bits and pieces. The TM has everything you need from a memory work point of view. I don't think the student book is necessary at all, but maybe that's just me. 

All IMO!

• Like 1

We're on our third year with it. For us it is just a supplement, but you could probably build your studies around it by adding living books, narration, and dictation. There are some activities suggested for science. I use the tm, timeline cards, maps, and cds. I am consistently the only person who likes the cds whenever we have a thread on ccm. I tried to save money by skipping the maps, but I wound up ordering them later. It was just too time consuming to find unlabeled maps online. The ccm maps are really nice and have heavy laminating so you can draw on them. We've used wet erase to trace country outlines. Like rootann, we only do the timeline cards that line up with that year, so 1/4 of the timeline each year. I use anki to manage cumulative review. We do religion, timeline, geography, great words 1, science, and history. My oldest is on his third year. I'll have him do Latin and great words 2 on his second lap. The geography is just current political geography. I like the religion a lot. It is just the right amount to go along with a standard (progressive education) CCD class and our literature based history (which includes bible history and saints).

• Like 2

I'm in my sixth year of being in a co-op that uses CCM. After doing all four years, I put my kids in other classes in the co-op, but most families in the co-op do at least some portion of CCM. Some families in our co-op use CCM as their spine for history and science. We used CCM as a supplement.

I liked the teacher's manual, timeline cards, and CDs. The timeline cards are beautiful, with just the right amount of information for my family. The CDs were great for review in the car. The teacher's manual had everything from the student book, so we never used the student book. I didn't use the maps becauses my family wasn't into geography.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for your insights! It has helped immensely. I am going to go ahead and get the teachers manual and timelime cards. I am sure I will modify, like I do with everything but I like the idea what they offer. Thanks again!