Menu

Life of Fred pre-algebra

bfw0729

We will be starting Singapore Math 5A, although we do LoF on Fridays (ice cream book at the moment). Once we complete SM through 6B, I am thinking to transition to LoF pre-algebra. After that, maybe use Jacob's or Foerster's Algebra I book. I am also considering Art of Problem Solving pre-algebra instead of LoF. There are so many decisions, but know I want a math program that is thorough and not light. So far all my kids seem to be math-minded and have interests that require math in their futures. 

Has anyone tried the LoF pre-algebra series??? I am so curious if I included books 1 and 2 for part of their school year in 6th grade that it would help to solidify math further and prepare them for Algebra 1. 

Edited by bfw0729

My dd is in sixth. Next year she'll be starting AoPS pre-A. To finish up this year I have her working through LoF Pre-A. She'll likely finish book 0 inn two more weeks. She'll written through book 1 over the summer, maybe book 2 of time permits.

We are using it because we finished or math for the year, its at my library, and to give her some practice prior to the fall.

dd (6th) has been working through them, meandering really, for a while now. I quite liked the 0 book especially, dd is liking 1 better.

She was doing BA5 at the same time, and is now doing Jousting Armadillos and Russian Math 6. I figure when we finish JA and LoF we'll try AoPS...

We've worked through the pre-algebra series.

We loved biology and physics, but really didn't like economics. I just found bits of it to be a bit weird, almost preachy and political. So, we put that one aside.

We're currently on LoF Beginning Algebra, but also working through AoPS pre-alg for depth and also an Australian maths textbook + some Zaccarro. We like to have choices :)