Menu

S/O Prom - Ebay for Dresses

goldberry

Just sharing, I found a gorgeous dress for DD on ebay.  This is the same one, but the one we got was $50 with $15 shipping, so $65 total.  Beautiful!  I would never do the ones where they make a dress, I've heard too many bad things, but lightly-used resale has worked out well for us on dresses!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLIRT-BY-MAGGIE-SOTTERO-WOMENS-PROM-FORMAL-TULLE-BEADED-BALL-GOWN-DRESS-SZ-8-/172635521819?hash=item2831e1031b:g:GLsAAOSwDmBY5mzm

Just looking around, they are more expensive now than when we were looking a month or so ago. So I guess that's a word of advice, look early for the best deals!

ETA, this is a little low cut for us, but DD is very small busted so it still looks presentable with nothing falling out. ;)

Feel free to share any pictures or links, I love seeing dresses! 

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 2

We actually bought a dress on Amazon for one of DD's dresses this year! It worked out very well for the price we paid.  Most of the places that make the dresses will let you send measurements and make it custom for you for no extra cost! The key thing is making SURE you order based off of their listed size charts and reading the reviews.

• Like 1

two years ago dd and I went prom dress shopping. dd wanted to just look and get ideas. For our first stop we went to the ladies, not juniors dept at Nordstrom. They have really elegant dresses and the ladies dressing room has this little area where people can sit and they bring you perrier. dd put on dresses and then came out and turned around on a platform in front of the sitting area. She tried on one gown that was perfect. Of course it was out of our price range. I made note of the designers that fit her well. I watched Nordstroms on line to see if they ever put that dress on sale. They put other dresses she tried on on sale, but not that one. 

One year later prom rolled around again. I went on ebay and found the dress for $50. 

I don't think I would have been comfortable ordering from ebay if dd had not already tried on the dress. Since I also got her another dress (not formal) by the same designer, knowing that designer fit her well. 

We have had good luck with ebay. 

• Like 1

We got my daughter's dress for this year's prom at an antique store.  It was exactly like one I had bought years ago on clearance in another antique store for playing dress up.  Later, it got hung in the closet, and one of our cats clawed the skirt pretty badly. 

So last year when it finally fit my youngest perfectly she couldn't wear it due to the picks and runs.  She loved it so much that she planned to remove the skirt and replace it but never got around to it. 

When her father and I spotted one just like it in an antique mall in VA, I couldn't believe it.  My dd and I had searched online for a similar dress for a year and never found even a similar dress.  And there at the store was not only nearly the exact same dress but it was even the right size. It was one of those weird coincidences that wouldn't be believable in a story.  But she is excited to wear the dress finally.

Just sharing, I found a gorgeous dress for DD on ebay.  This is the same one, but the one we got was $50 with $15 shipping, so $65 total.  Beautiful!  I would never do the ones where they make a dress, I've heard too many bad things, but lightly-used resale has worked out well for us on dresses!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLIRT-BY-MAGGIE-SOTTERO-WOMENS-PROM-FORMAL-TULLE-BEADED-BALL-GOWN-DRESS-SZ-8-/172635521819?hash=item2831e1031b:g:GLsAAOSwDmBY5mzm

Just looking around, they are more expensive now than when we were looking a month or so ago. So I guess that's a word of advice, look early for the best deals!

ETA, this is a little low cut for us, but DD is very small busted so it still looks presentable with nothing falling out. ;)

Feel free to share any pictures or links, I love seeing dresses! 

That is a beautiful dress.  Has she had her prom yet?  My daughter's is next weekend.