Menu

Advice for Math Curriculum

goldenecho

We started with Math U See.   It worked WONDERFULLY for place value, but once we got to addition and subtraction, it sort of bottomed out for the following reasons....

1.  It took me too long to translate the lessons into a simple "say this, than do this" script.  (Yes, it tells you what to do, but there's too much extra info mixed in, so I either needed to memorize the lesson or re-write it as a script, and that took too long and held us back.  I need something more like All About Spelling, only for math, where there's a simple script and all the extra info is in sidebars, not mixed in with the script). 

2.  My son doesn't respond to math videos well and we have an unreliable video player anyways that broke.

3.  I don't think waiting to do subtraction until addition was mastered worked for us.  I've heard of spiraling, and am considering it in stead of mastery based lessons. 

What did work well is, again, the place value, and the manipulatives.   We liked those.

We have been doing Addition Facts that Work and Subtraction Facts that Work and are loving it.  Simple, has a script, then games we repeat daily for a week to help him memorize the math facts the rest of the week.  I LOVE IT!  SO SIMPLE and it's working!

I'm wondering what to use next after we get addition and subtraction taken care of.  I'd love something that simple for fractions, multiplications and division.   My son needs someone to sit and do the work with him.   Getting him to do lots of written practice is like pulling teeth.  He responds better to oral though I know he needs both, so I'm not saying no written but if it's in smaller chunks that's better.   He's not a strong reader so can't do things that require him to read it on his own yet.   I need a simple script when teaching him.  Manipulatives are helpful.  So are games.  Any suggestions for something to use going forward? 

Take a look at RightStart. I think it has everything you're saying you want:

--Word-for-word script

--Light on written work (in the lower levels especially)

--Heavy on mental/oral work

--Variety of manipulatives

--Games (there's a whole separate games book, but many are done within the lessons)

--Strong spiral aspect with integration of topics

--Teacher intensive (you said sitting with him wouldn't bother you, so this wouldn't be a negative for you like it is for some people)

--An abacus that is fantastic for working with place value (and lots of other concepts, including what you're doing with the Addition and Subtraction Facts that Work)

HTH! I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions for you. RS has been a great fit for our family. My kids enjoy it, and I find it very fun to teach as well.

• Like 3

Just echoing blonchen. RightStart sounds like it might be a good fit. It does spiral, and I skip ahead as needed when my son doesn't need the repetition. I love the breadth of topics introduced. My 7-year-old is in Level C, and his last few lessons included basic fractions, drawing stars and triangles in polygons with with drafting tools, four digit addition, a subtraction table, measurement, perimeter, and mental two digit addition.

• Like 1

Right Start! I switched from MUS for some of the same reasons it's not working for you. RS has been a wonderful fit at our house.

The lessons are easy to teach. The hands on elements have really helped my kids. It has more review than MUS because it is somewhat spiral. The way it teaches concepts with an abacus has been amazing. My kids really understand and can visualize the "why" behind the math.

I had the same sorts of issues that you did with MUS, and we are going with MEP. It is spiral compared to MUS. It has lesson plans written out, though not exactly scripted. It is not quite open and go, as I find I need to read them over the night before. It might not be as easy as what you are looking for, but it is a lot less expensive than Right Start.

This really does sound perfect.  Even the teacher intensive part (he NEEDS me sitting with him for it to work...that's just his learning style).  Thanks so much for your detailed description!

Take a look at RightStart. I think it has everything you're saying you want:

--Word-for-word script

--Light on written work (in the lower levels especially)

--Heavy on mental/oral work

--Variety of manipulatives

--Games (there's a whole separate games book, but many are done within the lessons)

--Strong spiral aspect with integration of topics

--Teacher intensive (you said sitting with him wouldn't bother you, so this wouldn't be a negative for you like it is for some people)

--An abacus that is fantastic for working with place value (and lots of other concepts, including what you're doing with the Addition and Subtraction Facts that Work)

HTH! I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions for you. RS has been a great fit for our family. My kids enjoy it, and I find it very fun to teach as well.