Menu

As if prom wasn't expensive enough...grr

teachermom2834

My 16 ds had someone walk off with his rental tux coat! I'm sure the kids all had them off on their chairs while they were dancing and someone mistakenly grabbed his but right now my son has lost his rental tux. Ack!!

They have the word out on social media and the chaperones were supposed to let them know if they find an extra one (surely there should be an extra coat at the end of the night).

I told him he could call the local stores today and tell them to expect a mismatch and to call him if his coat showed up. Not sure what else to do.

Ugh. $$$$

I just had to vent.

That has never crossed my mind! You'd think it must happen all the time!

I know! It made perfect sense when he told me but I never even thought about it. It's not like people write their names in their tuxes. I bet it happens and gets sorted out sometimes when all the kids get them from the same local

store. We actually live an hour away from the high school so our tux came from a local shop with no hope of the his coat coming in. I am now wishing we had at least gone to the chain store here that the kids in that town used.

Oh well. I'm not mad at him. Just a really unlucky and unfair thing to be on the short end of. I told him he and his girlfriend could spend time together today playing detective and trying to recover it. Oh well. I swear life with big kids is a series of events I just never would have worried about until they happen.

• Like 1

I know! It made perfect sense when he told me but I never even thought about it. It's not like people write their names in their tuxes. I bet it happens and gets sorted out sometimes when all the kids get them from the same local

store. We actually live an hour away from the high school so our tux came from a local shop with no hope of the his coat coming in. I am now wishing we had at least gone to the chain store here that the kids in that town used.

Oh well. I'm not mad at him. Just a really unlucky and unfair thing to be on the short end of. I told him he and his girlfriend could spend time together today playing detective and trying to recover it. Oh well. I swear life with big kids is a series of events I just never would have worried about until they happen.

Isn't that the truth!

Hopefully a phone call to the store in the other town can resolve it!

• Like 2

Boy, I feel for you. My second son went to a Christmas dance that a somewhat local homeschool group put on (further west, though,so not really our exact neck of the woods).  Some of the kids on his mock trial team are in this group, so the whole team went.  He had fun, but when he went to leave, he realized someone had taken his suit coat.  At the end of the dance, there was an extra coat left over, although it was pin-striped and only had a single slit in the back, whereas my son's was solid black and had a double slit.  Plus, it just didn't fit him right, lol.  

The dance organizer had sent out an evite, so we emailed her to get her to send out a message to all the participants.  She did, but it wasn't very detailed--something like "Missing black suit coat.  Found pin striped suit coat."  Eventually someone did get back to her, and so we arranged to pick up the wrong suit coat this boy had--except it also was not my son's.  Grrrrr.  So 2 boys picked up the wrong suit coats!  

The organizer sent out another text, and I had a friend send out a very detailed message with a plea to the homeschool email loop for the western group ("Moms, PLEASE make your sons check their suit coats!!"), but no luck.  No one else ever came forward.  

My son needed a matching suit for the state mock trial tournament, so we ended up having to buy a whole different suit for him.  I was NOT happy.  I'm sure some random boy came home, threw his (our) suit coat in the closet, and never bothered to check it.  And then, when he needs it next summer for Great-Aunt Gertrude's funeral, it will be too small anyway, so he'll never even notice he was the unobservant loser who wouldn't bother checking whether or not he got the right coat in the first place!  Grrrrr.

I did tell my son that before he goes to any more homeschool dances, I am buying him an enormous pink and purple boutonierre so that nobody mistakes his coat for their own!  This last dance ended up being a very expensive dance, to say the least, for us anyway!

Edited by AFwife Claire

Boy, I feel for you. My second son went to a Christmas dance that a somewhat local homeschool group put on (further west, though,so not really our exact neck of the woods). Some of the kids on his mock trial team are in this group, so the whole team went. He had fun, but when he went to leave, he realized someone had taken his suit coat. At the end of the dance, there was an extra coat left over, although it was pin-striped and only had a single slit in the back, whereas my son's was solid black and had a double slit. Plus, it just didn't fit him right, lol.

The dance organizer had sent out evite, so we emailed her to get her to send out a message to all the participants. She did, but it was very detailed--something like "Missing black suit coat. Found pin striped suit coat." Eventually someone did get back to her, and so we arranged to pick up the wrong suit coat this boy had--except it also was not my son's. Grrrrr. So 2 boys picked up the wrong suit coats!

The organizer sent out another text, and I had a friend send out a very detailed message with a plea to the homeschool email loop for the western group ("Moms, PLEASE make your sons check their suit coats!!"), but no luck. No one else ever came forward.

My son needed a matching suit for the state mock trial tournament, so we ended up having to buy a whole different suit for him. I was NOT happy. I'm sure some random boy came home, threw his (our) suit coat in the closet, and never bothered to check it. And then, when he needs it next summer for Great-Aunt Gertrude's funeral, it will be too small anyway, so he'll never even notice he was the unobservant loser who wouldn't bother checking whether or not he got the right coat in the first place! Grrrrr.

I did tell my son that before he goes to any more homeschool dances, I am buying him an enormous pink and purple boutonierre so that nobody mistakes his coat for their own! This last dance ended up being a very expensive dance, to say the least, for us anyway!

Oh I'm sorry that happened! So frustrating. We are trying to track it down but I am not hopeful. I never thought about it but now that it has happened it seems so common and surely happens frequently. What a mess! And expense. Just ugh.

Ugh.

My ds got his tux back all in one piece, but he returned his dad's valuable cufflinks instead of the set that came with the rental.  Grrr.

I feel your pain.