Menu

Is Elemental Science worth it? Did you actually do it?

EKT

I'm deciding on logic stage biology for my rising 5th grader. I'm debating between (a) DIY-ing science (as I have thus far) using the spines, etc. recommended in TWTM, and (b) buying an actual curriculum. Elemental Science (Biology for the Logic Stage) is super appealing because it seems all-in-one and you can even buy the materials kit to make prep easier. At the same time, though, I'm a little fearful that over the course of the year, the program will become tedious/too dry/too "textbook-y," or that all those experiments will be a pain to prepare, set up, and actually do. The expense will stretch our budget, especially if we have to purchase a microscope, so I want to be sure about this one. I would love you hear your thoughts.

In other words, the program seems great on paper, but how did its use play out for you in real life? Did your kids enjoy it? Thanks!

I have tried to like Elemental science. I have started it twice with two different 5th graders. Up until 4th grade we loosely followed the WTM suggestions and also made up my own science. I thought this would just be a more organized way of doing it, but for us it was too formal.

It doesn't sound like it would be a good fit for you, especially if the price is a stretch.

• Like 1

I have tried to like Elemental science. I have started it twice with two different 5th graders. Up until 4th grade we loosely followed the WTM suggestions and also made up my own science. I thought this would just be a more organized way of doing it, but for us it was too formal.

It doesn't sound like it would be a good fit for you, especially if the price is a stretch.

We did it for K and 1st (Intro and Biology).  It worked fine.  I tried it for Earth and Space and Chemistry and did bits and pieces.  It never really flowed for me.  I've added other stuff in following the WTM recommendations.  I bought Logic Biology for really cheap from the WTM board.  I may use 1 section of it, but still not feeling it.  I am doing science with twins though.  Maybe I feel differently if I was doing it with just one kid :-).

I am now planning to you Ellen McHenry's stuff and Bite-Sized Physics for the next 2 years.  I may continue with Mystery Science for one more year.  I may also looking at BJU because everyone seems to have great things to say about it (especially the 6th grade science).

• Like 1

My 5th grader is using Logic Biology this year and we are liking it. She does the majority of the work on her own. I bought the lab kit from their website, though it sometimes calls for perishable supplies that you have to obtain. We owned a microscope already, but it isn't required. The author instructs you to look online for similar images if you don't have one. (That said, I have recently seen well reviewed microscopes in the $10-15 range on Amazon so it can be done inexpensively)

I previously tried the grammar stage biology and found it to be too formal for us in early elementary. The logic stage program has been just right for our needs. She does the 5 day schedule that you can see in the sample.

• Like 1