Menu

Theatre people I need help

lynn

My dd has long, below the shoulder, thick hair and needs to wear a wig for a schools play. How do I this. She hates having her hair up buy is willing to put up with some discomfort for the play. Any suggestions to make it as comfortable as possible. TIA

Edited by lynn

French braid, preferable two with a center part. For the "tail" of the braid/s either twist it up or make a small bun and pin in place. Cover with a wig cap or make one from old dance tights. Tan for blondes, black for darker hair. Looks less weird if the wig falls off.

What style wig? You'll need to have her hair pretty tight and even (meaning, not a lumpy bun at her occipital bone) for a short flapper bob. Wilder curly hair wigs have more leeway in how the underneath hair is secured.

Pin curls are the standard at our children's theater, but my DD's hair is way too long and thick for me to make that work.

Depending on the shape of the wig, I make one pony tail, separate it into  2-5 sub-braids, then wrap and bobby pin the braids around her head so the mound of hair is level/even. LOTS of bobby pins are key.

Then top it with a wig cap (these are cheap and worth it. I get ours at Sally, but here's some online: https://www.amazon.com/DREAM-Deluxe-Wig-Natural-Model/dp/B005E2VMM4/ref=sr_1_19_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1491574928&sr=1-19&keywords=wig%2Bcap&th=1)