Menu

How do you find a neuropsych?

Hi- I am new to the board. I have been homeschooling my daughter (is that the abbreviation DD?) her whole life. She is now almost 14/8th grade. She has some terrific strengths and some weaknesses. She did not read until 8.5, although we talked about the sounds that letters stand for and I used that 100 lessons book (can't quite remember the name, sorry). At that age, when she finally seemed ready to attend without crazy wiggling and focus issues, she did vision therapy with a wonderful COVD, and after 3 months, she was a year above grade level or more. She loves to read if it is a book she is interested; cannot focus and rereads without comprehending if not (my husband says he does this, too) We were also told, by that developmental optometrist and by another one that we also liked but that did not offer therapy, that she has short term memory issues. She did the CogMed program; I don't think it did much. She was seen by an audiologist and did HearBuilders; she said it was easy and boring. The audiologist said she had only a mild issue. Program didn't change the behavior that I observed, which may have been simply slow processing. She surely has some elements of discalculia. Many things we tried to address and didn't see much change with the therapies available today/programs I could find, with the exception of vision. She has a very hard time focusing and was an "active" child. I'm sure she would have been found to have ADD if she were in school. Her father was diagnosed with ADD in his early 30s, but responded badly to the med AND to the doctor. He has chosen to live with it. It doesn't seem to be a problem for him, though I know he does have it, or something like it.

On the plus side, she writes beautifully, she has many story ideas, she sits down to write on her own and willingly, she is finally committed to practicing an instrument, she pushes herself through math and has learned tremendous patience with her lack of understanding. She is doing well in a high school level history class through a homeschool resource center. This year, she has made leaps and bounds. I just wish I had an extra year, but she wants to graduate "on time".

All this is to say, remembering my own academic experience, that there were always kids that did well in some subjects and not in others. We had no idea that some kids might "get it" later, or could have been helped by a different method, etc. and my thought has been, especially after teaching other people's kids at the local co-op, that "everybody has something."

OK, there is the background.

She plans to go to college, she would like to go to a "good" one, and I point out it is better to go to one that is a good fit. But who knows what is in the future. I am not seeing how she could sit/focus on the SAT/ACT but maybe she will grow into it. She absolutely has slow processing speed; she has discalculia; she has poor short term memory. She has a very hard time relating the parts to the whole, or seeing the macro view, she does not seem to visualize numbers. She takes FOREVER to complete something.

Finally, my question: is there value in getting her tested for accommodations in the future? Would a diagnosis affect college acceptance? Can a diagnosis wait until after she is accepted to college? Is there an intervention that anyone recommends other than what we have tried?

I found a pediatric neurologist through my insurance who recommended an out-of-network NP. She also offers counseling, and I am a bit leery, having had bad experiences with that sort of thing with two other COVDs and another program  Feels like a conflict of interest to test AND offer therapy, though it worked out well for us one time. It seems in large measure that she is simply a late bloomer in academics.  If I got testing for her, would she be beholden to mention it on college applications?

I would be more inclined if I thought there was a magic bullet, but when my nephew was tested, my SIL sent me the report. It was 20 pages of observations we had already had. It made sense for them because he then went to a terrific special school, but our case is different.

Opinions? Help? Resources? How do you find an NP? Especially, what tests would I look for? Can she keep it secret on applications? Or shouldn't she?

I am grateful for any help, and will do my best to respond quickly, though it may be a day or two. Thanks for any input :-)

BTW, we are in the Los Angeles area. I don't know the protocol, but if I am allowed, I'm happy to recommend the COVD, which is in driving distance.

She sounds like she could be "twice exceptional" (gifted + learning disabilities) so I would check the 2E Newsletter list. I see testers listed in Ventura, Beverly Hills, and if you're willing to drive that far, Carlsbad.

You do not have to provide information on any disabilities to colleges unless you specifically request accommodations (and that would come after the student matriculates, through the Disability Services Office).

• Like 2

Did the audiologist do the SCAN3 to test for APD? That would be the normal reason you're doing Hearbuilders. Just mho, but I wouldn't start anything by "oh it's mild" and blowing it off. If she's got a diagnosis of APD, that's significant. My dd was borderline, like literally right on the line, with the screening portion, and we never did the full. The effect for her is SIGNIFICANT. Odds are, the effects your dd is experiencing are MORE significant than what she can put into words.

Yes to getting evals for SLDs, ADHD. There are some psychs who really slow down and spend a lot of time and sift things out, but you'll pay through the nose. Call the practice yourself and talk with the psych and see what you think. How many hours would they spend? It doesn't have to be a neuropsych. Sometimes you'll find clinical psychs who really have made complex kids their niche. So it's more about asking how much time they'll spend, etc.

You definitely need evals. You're not going to get this sorted out or get her the accommodations she needs without them.

As far as the meds, well I'll just point out a couple obvious things. One, we have more meds and for some people changing the med makes a difference. Two, if you have symptoms and aren't responding typically to the meds, sometimes it means ADHD wasn't the problem. ;) My ds is one of those who sometimes passes an ADHD computer screening and sometimes doesn't, and his diagnosis is ASD. He has calmed down significantly with work for retained reflexes. There *is* a retained reflex that can affect auditory processing. If you can find an OT or PT who is amazing for retained reflexes, definitely wouldn't hurt to pursue that. Not going to eliminate a psych eval, but it might give you progress in ways you don't anticipate. Me personally, I'd be concerned about some of the rigidity you're describing. Anything like that going on (rigidity, anxiety, b&w thinking, etc.) can get worse with puberty and stress. It's only going to get harder. So putting her body in a better place can help.

Np will typically be worthless on the APD. Maybe they'll surprise you, could happen. Just saying I would get that sorted out, because what you're saying about the audiology is kinda vague. Around here we have a university with a great APD program for testing. If you haven't actually done the full testing, you might want to.

Learning Ally keeps a self-referral list where practitioners can list themselves. I don't think it's necessarily a dealbreaker that the psych does counseling, but I agree that it's kinda it shouldn't be an assumption or obligation. I would never in a million years use any of the NPs I've used for evals for counseling. We actually have a psych now who's stellar for that, but he specializes in CBT and counseling with autism, etc. So it was a list of psychs for evals and a different psych for counseling, at least for us. But, you know, really call and talk with the person. You may like them! Calling is free, mercy. Like I would call and talk with 20 psychs. By the time you're done, you'll have some opinions. :)

If you find they're going to spend a good amount of time (at least 6-8 hours testing) and you are comfortable talking with them, those are good signs. If they do CBT, that could be a bonus if you turn out to really like them. There are also educational therapists. There's a certification for it, so google. Actually, that can be another way to look for a psych, by finding a certified educational therapist and asking who they are referring people to. They usually know who is popular in town. Also you could call a popular dyslexia tutor and see who they refer people to.

It's really interesting that your neurologist recommended going oon. I'd at least give them a call, kwim? You could get on the waiting list and cancel. Sometimes the wait will be multiple months, so it's better to start somewhere and cancel if you find someone you like better. The person may be a really good fit! Usually hospital people refer to others in the hospital, so that's why it's interesting. The neurologist may be seeing things they aren't allowed to *say* to you and they know that particular psych has those specialties, kwim? So I'd definitely follow up on the referral and see what's up.

No, it's not really a conflict of interest to do evals and therapy. That's what psychs do, lol. Some might do more of one or the other, but it's what they do. You're clearly going to get some diagnoses, and if the person has that additional training in CBT, etc., you might really enjoy discussing things with them.

In the meantime, have you read any books on APD or ADHD or dyslexia?

• Like 1

On the college thing, obviously you have this a little backward. If you don't get her disabilities identified and get her interventions, she won't be GOING to those colleges. My dd's ACT score jumped by, um, 20%?, when we brought in complete interventions. That's the difference between podunk and huge scholarships. HUGE. And the colleges really like to see you've been using accommodations. The college testing boards are changing their policies to make it more standardized, so a dc's IEP will lead to their accommodations on the testing, a smooth process. This is a huge deal to make happen for your dc. It's worth the $3K or whatever you're going to pay, because her scholarships may increase by 10s of thousands. Seriously.

Um, what else? On applications, you don't mention it unless you want to. Unless it affects your ability to do the work of the program to which you're applying (like saying you want to sew but you have no hands), you're not mentioning it. Unless it's to your ADVANTAGE to mention it on essays (how you overcame things, whatever), you don't mention it. They don't know. They're not in your medicine cabinet or underwear drawer.

Then, when you're accepted, to take your paperwork to their disabilities services and get everything you can. EF coaching, less roommates, extended testing, anything her paperwork says. And the disabilities are covered by ADA, which means it's federal law that schools taking federal money will comply with. That means if she picks a school that DOESN'T take federal money, it's entirely possible their approach will be (removing not nice words) about her disabilities. We looked at some colleges like that and just decided to move on.

Sometimes the best place for a kid with disabilities is a small school or a small program within a big school. She's going to want personal attention and good services. 

Fwiw, every psych that has seen my dd has taken the time to talk college stuff. Early on we got the advice on small program, a place where she's getting attention and can be very involved. Later psychs took the time to suggest majors and really try to be helpful. They know these kids can be amazing! So probably what will happen is you do evals now (8th grade) and repeat in 12th before she goes to college. That will give you fresh paper trail. The college will want it less than 3 years old typically. So if you eval now and again later, that's perfect. It gives you a lot of time to use the results.

Your worst case scenario is deciding to wait because you only want to eval once. It would be so unwise honestly. She's going to learn SO MUCH through these evals. It's going to take you time to process the info, make changes, improve how you work together. You don't want to miss out on this process or skimp.

• Like 1

Did the audiologist do the SCAN3 to test for APD? That would be the normal reason you're doing Hearbuilders. Just mho, but I wouldn't start anything by "oh it's mild" and blowing it off. If she's got a diagnosis of APD, that's significant. My dd was borderline, like literally right on the line, with the screening portion, and we never did the full. The effect for her is SIGNIFICANT. Odds are, the effects your dd is experiencing are MORE significant than what she can put into words.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough answer. Yes, she did that test. The report is 9 pages, although a lot of it seems like boilerplate. I can't figure out how to copy the file without her name attached. Is there anything I should look for? The only thing that was marked  significant was this: "Competing words test-LE Right Ear 14, Left ear 10, ear adv 4,normal range -2 to 3, significance yes 15%, and same thing with reversals. Should I attach the file? I wouldn't want to impose, and I'd like to respect my DD's privacy...

Yes to getting evals for SLDs, ADHD. There are some psychs who really slow down and spend a lot of time and sift things out, but you'll pay through the nose. Call the practice yourself and talk with the psych and see what you think. How many hours would they spend? It doesn't have to be a neuropsych. Sometimes you'll find clinical psychs who really have made complex kids their niche. So it's more about asking how much time they'll spend, etc.

OK, I'll try to find this through insurance. I thought it had to be an NP

You definitely need evals. You're not going to get this sorted out or get her the accommodations she needs without them.

As far as the meds, well I'll just point out a couple obvious things. One, we have more meds and for some people changing the med makes a difference. Two, if you have symptoms and aren't responding typically to the meds, sometimes it means ADHD wasn't the problem. ;) My ds is one of those who sometimes passes an ADHD computer screening and sometimes doesn't, and his diagnosis is ASD. He has calmed down significantly with work for retained reflexes. There *is* a retained reflex that can affect auditory processing. If you can find an OT or PT who is amazing for retained reflexes, definitely wouldn't hurt to pursue that. Not going to eliminate a psych eval, but it might give you progress in ways you don't anticipate. Me personally, I'd be concerned about some of the rigidity you're describing. Anything like that going on (rigidity, anxiety, b&w thinking, etc.) can get worse with puberty and stress. It's only going to get harder. So putting her body in a better place can help.

Oddly, just about everything has been improving as she has gotten older. The meds were with my husband and I've never been able to make him do anything he doesn't want to do. I did suggest he try other meds, but he said NO, lol. Which behavior describes rigidity? That she doesn't get the "big picture?" What is a retained reflex? I know she had something called a moro reflex as a baby that she kept too long... but she is pretty even keeled, self-aware

Np will typically be worthless on the APD. Maybe they'll surprise you, could happen. Just saying I would get that sorted out, because what you're saying about the audiology is kinda vague. Around here we have a university with a great APD program for testing. If you haven't actually done the full testing, you might want to.

I think it was the full testing. The report was 9 pages. And the audiologist gave us a bunch of exercises, which we did, but didn't seem particularly hopeful. Maybe I should have it done again? It has been 2.5 years...

Learning Ally keeps a self-referral list where practitioners can list themselves. I don't think it's necessarily a dealbreaker that the psych does counseling, but I agree that it's kinda it shouldn't be an assumption or obligation. I would never in a million years use any of the NPs I've used for evals for counseling. We actually have a psych now who's stellar for that, but he specializes in CBT and counseling with autism, etc. So it was a list of psychs for evals and a different psych for counseling, at least for us. But, you know, really call and talk with the person. You may like them! Calling is free, mercy. Like I would call and talk with 20 psychs. By the time you're done, you'll have some opinions. :)

OK, I will do that. It is a pipedream that this will be covered by insurance...

If you find they're going to spend a good amount of time (at least 6-8 hours testing) and you are comfortable talking with them, those are good signs. If they do CBT, that could be a bonus if you turn out to really like them. There are also educational therapists. There's a certification for it, so google. Actually, that can be another way to look for a psych, by finding a certified educational therapist and asking who they are referring people to. They usually know who is popular in town. Also you could call a popular dyslexia tutor and see who they refer people to.

It's really interesting that your neurologist recommended going oon. I'd at least give them a call, kwim? You could get on the waiting list and cancel. Sometimes the wait will be multiple months, so it's better to start somewhere and cancel if you find someone you like better. The person may be a really good fit! Usually hospital people refer to others in the hospital, so that's why it's interesting. The neurologist may be seeing things they aren't allowed to *say* to you and they know that particular psych has those specialties, kwim? So I'd definitely follow up on the referral and see what's up.

I never met with the neurologist. I only called the only pediatric neurologist listed on my insurance website (Blue Shield) to see if they did the testing, and they said no, they use this other doctor. I googled her, found her website, and it struck me as a bit salesman-y

No, it's not really a conflict of interest to do evals and therapy. That's what psychs do, lol. Some might do more of one or the other, but it's what they do. You're clearly going to get some diagnoses, and if the person has that additional training in CBT, etc., you might really enjoy discussing things with them.

In the meantime, have you read any books on APD or ADHD or dyslexia?

Yes, many, because of my husband. And research into dyslexia, which she does not have, led me to know about dyscalculia, which she does :-)

Thanks for all this info!

I'm sorry I couldn't figure out the more graceful way that others quote and reply!

Thank you. I will do that.

She sounds like she could be "twice exceptional" (gifted + learning disabilities) so I would check the 2E Newsletter list. I see testers listed in Ventura, Beverly Hills, and if you're willing to drive that far, Carlsbad.

You do not have to provide information on any disabilities to colleges unless you specifically request accommodations (and that would come after the student matriculates, through the Disability Services Office).

On the college thing, obviously you have this a little backward. If you don't get her disabilities identified and get her interventions, she won't be GOING to those colleges. My dd's ACT score jumped by, um, 20%?, when we brought in complete interventions. That's the difference between podunk and huge scholarships. HUGE. And the colleges really like to see you've been using accommodations. The college testing boards are changing their policies to make it more standardized, so a dc's IEP will lead to their accommodations on the testing, a smooth process. This is a huge deal to make happen for your dc. It's worth the $3K or whatever you're going to pay, because her scholarships may increase by 10s of thousands. Seriously.

I hadn't thought of that. I was just thinking I would try to steer her toward colleges like Bard, where you can get in with just essays. I see your point, thanks!

Um, what else? On applications, you don't mention it unless you want to. Unless it affects your ability to do the work of the program to which you're applying (like saying you want to sew but you have no hands), you're not mentioning it. Unless it's to your ADVANTAGE to mention it on essays (how you overcame things, whatever), you don't mention it. They don't know. They're not in your medicine cabinet or underwear drawer.

So it wouldn't be like fibbing about a pre-existing condition in the "old days" with health insurance? I thought it might cause them to rescind the acceptance. If not, I'll keep it under my hat.

Then, when you're accepted, to take your paperwork to their disabilities services and get everything you can. EF coaching, less roommates, extended testing, anything her paperwork says. And the disabilities are covered by ADA, which means it's federal law that schools taking federal money will comply with. That means if she picks a school that DOESN'T take federal money, it's entirely possible their approach will be (removing not nice words) about her disabilities. We looked at some colleges like that and just decided to move on.

Sometimes the best place for a kid with disabilities is a small school or a small program within a big school. She's going to want personal attention and good services.

Good points, all.

Fwiw, every psych that has seen my dd has taken the time to talk college stuff. Early on we got the advice on small program, a place where she's getting attention and can be very involved. Later psychs took the time to suggest majors and really try to be helpful. They know these kids can be amazing! So probably what will happen is you do evals now (8th grade) and repeat in 12th before she goes to college. That will give you fresh paper trail. The college will want it less than 3 years old typically. So if you eval now and again later, that's perfect. It gives you a lot of time to use the results.

Your worst case scenario is deciding to wait because you only want to eval once. It would be so unwise honestly. She's going to learn SO MUCH through these evals. It's going to take you time to process the info, make changes, improve how you work together. You don't want to miss out on this process or skimp.

I will spend the money. Now I just have to figure out where. A friend had her daughter evaluated at UCLA. If I recall correctly, it was about $7000. Is that beyond the pale, or just LA prices?

Is there some site that would tell me which tests to insist on?

Thank you again for all the valuable advice!

Crimson Wife

Qualified Bee Keeper

• photo-6500.gif?_r=0
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 17774 posts

Posted Today, 09:56 PM

Great resource! Thank you!

OK, I'm convinced! Thank you

DS18 had psycho-educational testing last year, done by a psychologist (not a neuropsych). We were very pleased with the quality of her testing.

His story is that he was diagnosed with speech, motor and sensory issues when he was two at one of those clinics that looks at all areas of development over a day or two of appointments. The report pretty much said a mild to moderate developmental delay. Only speech therapy was recommended at that time, but as he got just a little older it became apparent that he needed OT for the sensory and fine motor issues. He had therapy for those and was pronounced within the normal range for everything  before he started kindergarten. But I always felt absolutely sure he was at least mildly ASD and I was pretty sure he was intellectually gifted. The professionals at the time insisted he wasn't on the spectrum because he made eye contact. Remember he's 18 now. That was common thinking when he was a toddler/preschooler (how things have changed in that regard!). 

We homeschooled most of elementary and all of middle school and any issues he had were easily accommodated at home (after toddlerhood he never had any abnormal behavioral issues--super easy kid to live with). Then he was admitted to and decided to attend an early college high school program. And the anxiety started. I don't know if it was the change in school setting or adolescent hormones or a combo of both. Anyway, eventually we found our way to a psychiatrist for help with his anxiety. After seeing him a few times she said to me "I think he's on the spectrum. I'm sure he is." Finally a professional who agreed with me! He was 17 by then and academically breezing through his early college classes. But we wanted to make sure that when he went to a four year school he'd be able to get any accommodations he might need. And we just wanted to know so we'd know. And we'd seen his cousin (ADHD) do fine through high school and then hit a huge brick wall in her second year of college. Much, much scrambling was done to get her the updated testing she needed to qualify for accommodations. We didn't want that to happen to DS. So we had the testing done and found out his alphabet soup is ASD--1, NVLD, GAD (already knew that) and very gifted in some areas. He's got the very spiky profile that often happens with kids with his diagnoses--low average/borderline in some areas and hit-the-ceiling-on-the-subtest bright in other areas.

Now he's been accepted to the university he wants to attend and that testing paperwork has made it super easy to get the accommodations he needs. At this point all he's asking for is a private dorm room and to be able to use a smart pen (both already approved). At his university they want kids to attend classes for a week or so and then set up an appointment with the ODS. They want to discusses needed accommodations after the student has had a chance to get the feel of what their classes will be like. I think that's a great idea.

DS18 applied to selective but not highly selective universities. His ACT score and GPA (including something like 64 college credits already and will be over 70 at the end of this semester) would make him an ideal candidate for the tippy top schools in the country but he knows himself well enough to know that a highly competitive school with a cutthroat attitude among the students would be a horrible fit for him. Like you, he realized that fit was the most important thing.

I'm not an expert (why do I always feel the need to say that on this forum?). I only know what my kid and my niece have experienced. But I do know this -- for college accommodations you need testing normed at an adult level. And that means testing after 16.

I've read on here that tests can only be administered every so many years. So before you schedule anything you probably want to check on any implications having her tested now may have on the ability to have her tested again after she's 16. Also, if your insurance will cover it they may only cover it every so many years. Another thing to check on, perhaps.

She doesn't have to disclose anything about testing/diagnosis to a college unless she wants accommodations or wants to use it in some other way (personal essay, etc.). DS18 did disclose and was very upfront about it. He wrote about his recent diagnoses in his essays. There is some thinking that that's not a good thing to do or it's been done so many times it's not a great idea. Whatever. He was accepted at the three universities he applied to and we were told he was an "automatic admit" at the one he chose. So apparently none of them had any concerns about it or his academic record heavily outweighed any concerns.

• Like 2

That $7K sounds really high, even for CA, oy. I would keep shopping around. 

Even though colleges say they're accepting that way, they still also take test scores. And frankly you probably don't want to be that limited, limiting to schools that admit without scores. What if she gets into NONE of them? What if she wants to DE her junior or senior year? Many kids do... 

You can google each of the infant reflexes and find tests on youtube, or hunt for an OT or PT who is extremely good with them. I've been through 5 OTs who were varying shades of them, and now we've got a PT who is pretty good with them. It's sort of a niched thing. That's pretty telling if you know she had at least one retained reflex. I would get that moved up the priority list. It might explain why some of the other exercises and interventions, like for the dichotic listening, weren't working.

I've never seen a full report for APD, so I can't help you. You can start a new thread and put interpreting APD testing results in the title and let people help you.

Sometimes psychs will say something like "cognitive rigidity due to anxiety." I'm not all in for the why, but I'm just noticing you keep talking about things you can't get them to do and saying it's something that will come up, sifting through what is anxiety, what is rigidity, what is social thinking, what is going on there. 

I'm even up for explanations like "kid had so many retained reflexes and issues with APD that they were constantly on edge and in fright/flight mode so they were very rigid". For me, that works, kwim? I'm just saying they'll definitely be looking at that emotional piece. Can't work on what you don't identify.  But sure, any time you can get to the physical behind the emotional, that's ideal.

• Like 1

There is some thinking that that's not a good thing to do or it's been done so many times it's not a great idea. Whatever. He was accepted at the three universities he applied to and we were told he was an "automatic admit" at the one he chose. So apparently none of them had any concerns about it or his academic record heavily outweighed any concerns.

I think the attitude on disabilities has shifted so much, that accepting and accommodating disabilities is so the norm now, that a college would be very reluctant to have it come out that they discriminated based on disabilities. Besides, sometimes the very thing that is a disability is also their ABILITY. They funnel the energy or the hyper-focusing or the unique perspective or the detail-orientedness and they can be really astonishing. 

So yeah, as long as the school takes federal funds and therefore follows the ADA, I would not expect discrimination. 

$7k does sound super-high even for CA. If I'd had my DD tested locally, we'd have been looking at around $5k (bad enough).

She needed a specialized clinic because of the hearing loss and unfortunately none of those are anywhere remotely close to me. So we had it done in Baltimore at Johns Hopkins Kennedy Krieger and combined it with our annual trip to visit my IL's near Philly. It was $3.5k there. Insurance didn't cover any of it even though it was related to the existing medical diagnoses of hearing loss and autism. :thumbdown:

Still worth every penny because now we have objective proof that (A) she's got an underlying IQ in the gifted range ( B ) her learning challenges and delays are not solely due to the hearing loss and ( C ) we got an extensive list of accommodations and services that the school should be providing her.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the wonderful advice! Crimson Wife, I've subscribed to the 2e newsletter, found a (local) school, called Bridges, for 2e kids, called and spoke to the Director of Admissions. He sent me a list he has compiled of practitioners who do testing in the area!

Now I am making a list of all the tests that could be given, so that I am armed when I call to interview. I'm using a list I found on google and a list I'm gleaning from GT world testing facts. (i'll attach both- they are not yet cleaned up) (nope! I'm not permitted to load this kind of file? It is a word doc…)

Before I devote too much time to this, is there already a file somewhere on the board with such a list?

Also, OhElizabeth, I'd like to pursue the reflex idea, since she did have the Moro reflex for an extended time as a baby. 

You said you went through several inadequate therapists. Where would you recommend I look? Any professional association? (I wish i could just use yours!)

I truly appreciate this help! I feel that I've made more progress in one day than I have all year! Thank you, all!

CLA63, I do not have anything to add to the conversation but just wanted to say something about one of the comments you made. You said your daughter did the HearBuilders and found them easy and boring. Could you clarify if your daughter used the HearBuilder Auditory Memory? And if she did, did she use the full program to Expert? You are describing your daughter as having mild auditory issues and slow processing speed. No child that fits that description would find HearBuilder Auditory Memory, Advanced and Expert levels, easy and boring, unless the child did not finish through to Expert level.

CLA63, I do not have anything to add to the conversation but just wanted to say something about one of the comments you made. You said your daughter did the HearBuilders and found them easy and boring. Could you clarify if your daughter used the HearBuilder Auditory Memory? And if she did, did she use the full program to Expert? You are describing your daughter as having mild auditory issues and slow processing speed. No child that fits that description would find HearBuilder Auditory Memory, Advanced and Expert levels, easy and boring, unless the child did not finish through to Expert level.

It is unbelievable the stuff that you can find on your own computer! I found the email with the summary of progress from HB, lol.

I am attaching it. I can't tell what level she went to, but I think she was on the most difficult setting. I remember it was an online program that cost about $60. My feeling was that the audiologist wanted to give me "something" but dd was already a little too old for the type of games out there. She did also say it was mild, though I can't understand the report… maybe there was a program that was geared to adults that I should have purchased?