Menu

Cooking for someone with tree nut allergies

trulycrabby

I am preparing several meals for someone with tree nut allergies, and want to make sure everything I do and use is safe.

The food items have been purchased, and labels have been examined to make sure no tree nut items are included. Is there anything I need to do to prepare the kitchen and materials so that I do not accidentally contaminate the food I am preparing?

I am preparing shepherd's pie and a chicken casserole; I have kept both recipes simple so that I am not using too many packaged foods; just simple ingredients and no spices other than salt and onions.

Thank you in advance for any help. I take food allergies extremely seriously since the consequences are life-threatening.

Just beware of cross contamination. Start with clean utensils and countertops. Use paper towels if you can. Fabric kitchen towels must be fresh. If you normally use lots of nuts or nut products in your kitchen be very careful. Wash tools before using if they ever get used in nuts.

Some things depend on the person's sensitivity. For some folks if you roasted nuts in your oven since last cleaning it it could be a problem. Some folks only if you roasted them irecently and some folks wouldn't have a problem. Soap and water plus a good rinse beats chlorox cleaning wipes and the like when it comes to removing allergens.

• Like 3

What a SUPER kind and thoughtful thing to do! :)

Be sure to scrub all utensils, cookware, counters etc. with soap and water in advance of using them, even if they are clean. My nephew reacted to a nut-free cookie that had been baked on a pan that had last baked peanut-butter cookies, AND the pan had been washed and stored in between cookie batches. (Not me or my house, BTW.)

Also, please don't be offended if this person turns down the meal or ends up not eating it. My sister often refused homemade food for my nephew because she didn't see the kitchen conditions and ingredients in advance, and it is SO easy for people to forget about things like peanut oil, or to have inadvertent cross-contamination. My sister had several emergency hospital visits due to things like the paragraph above, where people meant well, but something still triggered nephew's severe allergy, so she just would decline the offers. It's all she could think to do to keep nephew safe. :(

Again, I do think this is very thoughtful and generous of you!

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Thank you very much! It is a sign-up sheet for a family from our son's school whose house burned down recently. So, I am guessing that the other family members besides the individual with tree nut allergies will eat the food. The people I know who have these kinds of allergies don't eat out or at other people's homes.

Luckily, the person is not allergic to peanuts, and I really do not use or eat many tree nuts, so that will be helpful, but I will act like it can be everywhere and clean diligently and use paper towels as recommended.

Edited by trulycrabby
  • Like 2

If they're willing to accept food from other people's kitchens, my guess is that normal sanitary practices are sufficient for their level of allergy.

I know a few people who won't eat others' homemade foods because of their degree of risk, and I won't cook for my aunt who has celiac b/c I know my kitchen is completely contaminated beyond help.  But my sister, who is allergic to some tree nuts and seafood eats everywhere without a second thought, even if nuts and/or seafood is being served separately.

• Like 2