Menu

Unit Study for Planting a Garden?

scbusf

I'm getting ready to plant seeds and I'd like a unit study or something to follow along with so my kids can learn about plants. We haven't done much learning about plants at all.

I'd rather not put it all together myself, but I may end up doing that. But maybe there's a unit already put together out there? I've done some searching, but I can't seem to find much.

We are using hands of a child's gardening unit. I got it from currclick. It has been informative. So far it has been talking about setting up the garden, choosing the location, checking out soil. It has little experiments to help with these things and it ends up being a lapbook. We aren't finished yet, but its been a good way for my kids to learn about gardening beyond the parts of a plant.

• Like 2

We are doing something like this, but not using a curriculum. I have been requesting gardening books from the library, we read a chapter each day during lunch, then in the afternoon we putter around a bit in the garden--prepping beds, mixing compost, planting, etc. We are also starting seeds indoors under a light. We won't end up with a lapbook or report or anything like that, but hopefully we'll end up with a nice garden.  I do have to admit that my kids are feeling less excited now than before we started, after learning that gardening isn't just planting seeds and watching them grow--they aren't as enthusiastic about the turning sod, digging, weeding parts.  :laugh:

• Like 1