Menu

Visiting VA--Charlottesville and Richmond

tmstranger

My husband occasionally travels for work and we have decided that we just don't take advantage of that often enough. 

He has to be in Richmond, VA for a meeting soon.  We live in MD, so we are going to drive down together for a short visit.  We only have 1.5 days in the area...

We are currently covering Thomas Jefferson in history, so this seemed like the perfect time to visit Monticello. 

What else??  Are there other "must see's" in the area?  He actually travels to Richmond often, so if we can't fit it all in during this trip, I can make a list for future visits. 

My kids are 13 and 9 if that makes a difference.

Fredericksburg is very nice.  Both Revolutionary War and Civil War are represented quite well.  Kenmore house, Hugh Mercer Apothocary, etc.  These are originaly structures that have been preserved.  If you drive to Richmond via Fredericksburg, you can take the "back roads" and go through Bowling Green and Ashland.  It is a quaint drive.  Also in the area are Spotyslvania, Chancellorsville Battlefield, Henrico, Hanover, North Anna Battlefield.  I heard someone say once that you can probably through a stick and it will land on something historic in that area.  Richmond of course has the Confederate Museum and some wonderful parks. 

It would be a very interesting drive going from Charlottesville to Richmond if you stay off the interstate. 

• Like 1

Of course visit UVA if you are in Charlottesville since TJ founded it. You can either take a campus tour or do a DIY tour. Especially go to the Lawn and learn the history of that part of grounds.

Yes, get the tour of the Lawn and the Rotunda, then get lunch on the Corner.

• Like 1

Charlottesville--

One of the most popular hikes in Charlottesville is the trail that leads up to Monticello.  There is a parking lot at the bottom of the hill, and you hike all the way up to the Monticello entrance.  The trail is about 2-3 miles long.

Richmond--

Tour the state capitol building that Thomas Jefferson designed. 

The church where Patrick Henry gave his famous "Give me liberty or give me death" speech is a notable landmark to visit.

There is a lot of Civil War history to check out. I think you can visit the old building that was the office of Jefferson Davis.  I think there is a Civil War Museum.

There is a wonderful trail over to Belle Isle.  Don't miss that.  There is a parking lot next to the James River.  You walk over a walkway suspended under a bridge to Belle isle.  Then the trail around Belle Isle is one mile.  The James River scenery is very nice there.

There is also tubing available around Richmond and Charlottesville if you are interested in that.

• Like 1