Menu

Skipping 8th grade--any downside I'm not thinking of?

ah ok...regents...seems to me that should work (except it does not, as you know, count towards a high school diploma in and of itself)

I was under the impression it was an all or nothing thing..meaning when you enter high school you need to get all of their credits. I can't find anything official that says so either way though.

It takes some reading of the nysed site and a decision on which diploma is wanted. There are exam results that can be substituted for certain Regents Exams. Credits from external sources can be transferred in. The principal has latitude. A student transferring in will.have credits evaluated. Independent study is allowed.

In public school? How can that be? The district has to approve my home education plan for each year. If they approve the 9th grade one i intend to send this summer, they will tell me next year that I don't have 9th grade completed? What if someone moves in the middle of high school?

We "skipped" 8th grade for ds and began 9th grade.  Mid-year, he went back to ps in a different district, and they refused to put him in 9th grade. I fought tooth and nail, but they refused to even look at his standardized tests, portfolios, IQ and other learning assessments... It was completely outrageous.  They put him in 8th grade, including pre-algebra, when he'd already completed Algebra I.

The entire thing sucked eggs, and he wound up "skipping" 11th and 12th to enroll in community college because he was finally fed up with busy work.

And that was with states much less fussy than NY.

If you have dual enrollment options, having a child remain their grade level is helpful. A lot of colleges have 1/2 priced credits for high school students. Also, the location we are in allows any high school student who passes a certain test to take college level classes. My sophomore son will have 9 credits by the end of the year. If you advance a child even if they're academically ready, you can miss out on some of these free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We "skipped" 8th grade for ds and began 9th grade.  Mid-year, he went back to ps in a different district, and they refused to put him in 9th grade. I fought tooth and nail, but they refused to even look at his standardized tests, portfolios, IQ and other learning assessments... It was completely outrageous.  They put him in 8th grade, including pre-algebra, when he'd already completed Algebra I.

The entire thing sucked eggs, and he wound up "skipping" 11th and 12th to enroll in community college because he was finally fed up with busy work.

And that was with states much less fussy than NY.

A lot of other people have had experiences like this. 

If you are positive that you are going to be entering him in PS when you get back, I would strongly encourage talking with the PS and getting in writing what their policy is and what he needs to do to be placed in 10th grade, before you teach him all of the mandatory 9th grade classes. It would suck for both of you to have him have to sit through the classes again when he's already passed the regents, and schools can be incredibly stubborn about this. 

• Like 2

In NY there are no mandatory classes by grade level, other than PE. One places where one places, then takes enough independent study, internal or external credits and Regents Exams for the desired diploma. Also remember the state has mandated acceleration options begin in 8th grade, so high school or higher work done that year counts too. The cap of 5.5 credits transferred in is the limiter.

For DE on campus we ran into the 'must be a junior or senior' req, but the college decided our dc could take a seat if he did not want college credit...the kid had enough hours to be a junior but the way its done here is that he must be taking or have completed his third credit class of english and ss also to be labeled a high school jr. Ymmv as each college is different, and DE on the high school campus seats the expected grade level students first so may not have a seat in humanities for an accelerated more than typical student.

Edited by Heigh Ho