Menu

History Rotations and Order, etc

amyc78

Looking for different "paths" through history others have taken. I have a 2nd and 4th grader. We have done CC up until this point so we have blitzed through 2 cycles of history. I don't like going so fast and I'm researching other routes...

Interested to hear how you have ordered history studies, why you do it that way and how it has worked out, what would you change, etc

We have done the WTM 4 yr cycles. We have stuck to them, and they have worked well. We are in the 3rd cycle (high school) for my oldest now, and it all works out perfectly this way. 

yr 1 ancients

yr 2 middle ages

yr 3 early moderns

yr 4 modern/American/state/government (some combination.) 

Two already? Gosh. That's a whirlwind.

My big two did two full cycles and broke off in high school. DC #3 and 4 did one of those cycles with the big kids and jumped ship. Because we could and wanted to. :) #5 had a year of geography and a year of American before starting her first cycle in 3rd grade (where she's currently at). The youngest is tagging along for ancients and loving it.

Some other tracks we've done and/or I know of...

-geography year

-Adventures in the Sea and Sky by Winter Promise, it's a world history tour focused on the development of ships, aircraft, and spacecraft

-huge unit studies with it integrated history (Further Up and Further In)

-American Girl history

-history of science

-Prairie Primer

Or maybe just slow waaaay down and do a normal 4 year rotation with time to mummify the chicken and do all the fun stuff. My little two are taking the slow and easy ancients route with a VP (NOT online) and SOTW combo, which breaks it into two years. They're moving a little faster than that, but they think it's amazing and LOVE ancient Egypt.

What did your olders do in high school?

My basic approach has been reading history stories from JK through about grade 2, then start a chronological world history in grade 3, and national history either that or next year.  I've also done British as second history some years.  This is through elementary school.

Essentially, we read the main texts I've chosen which are intended to mainly be good narratives.  We add in some secondary texts as we like, especially for pictures.  And we do narrations, some of the time. Map work is integrated for the most part. I did more with my history loving daughter, and streamlined a little for the one who had less interest.  We don't worry much about memorization.  ETA: the real goal for me is a sense of history, people doing things in different ways, a sense of different cultures, and stories that stick in the mind. 

Edited by Bluegoat

My odd is in 9th grade doing an ancients year. We will just continue forward as in WTM. We are doing state history ongoing on top of the regular cycles. We aren't going to do a specific year for it. We have created a notebook that we add to continuously for it. 

I am kind of doing the same for government. We will study government using original sources and other books simultaneously when it fits into modern history. But we do experiences and classes and field trips when they come up, so she is constantly getting exposure to that. 

So 9th grade (now) is reading through The History of the Ancient World by SWB, taking notes, reading great books for a separate world lit credit, but researching and writing about the history of the world when each book was written to maybe explore why it was written and what impact it had as she goes, studying in depth on Roman history for the National Latin exams which she takes yearly so the ancients will actually be restudied yearly as long as she takes Latin actually. And she will be assigned a paper by the end of the year on a topic of her choice. 

Next year she will continue on with the next in the SWB series and reading and writing from the great books lists. I am going to add a class at co-op next year on the middle ages for some fun projects and assignments. 

11th will be renaissance through early explorers, and 12th will be American history in context with world history when ever possible and more in depth government. 

Edited by 2_girls_mommy

Government example: she did a badge for scouts this year on the ballots and voting. She had to do research on all kinds of things related to government for the badge, and we included info on the presidential election. It was good timing to do that one. She learned about our state questions and had to create some posters and a notebook on what she learned. She went to vote with me and interviewed workers among other things.  She is also going to take a two day class that will walk the kids through how a bill gets made, and they will have debates and learn how that process all works soon, just because the opportunity is there. She will read and write about the documents when we get there in our official history year, but she will have plenty of working knowledge and hands on activities before we get there too, thankfully. 

In highschool there are...

US Constitution (or whatever you have)

US Government (or wherever you are)

World Geography

World History

US History (or British History or wherever else you are)

Then there are a plethora of Coursera classes (which include some of the above), including classes on specific wars, specific cultures, and specific issues.

We did:

K-4 - whatever we wanted, which included a lot of US and Latin American history and US government and civics and state history.  We're in 7th now and progressing along this path well:

5 - Ancients + history of math/science/culinary concurrent with time period (heavily focused on social history rather than Important Men and Dates)

6 - Medieval + history of math/science/culinary concurrent with time period (heavily focused on social history rather than Important Men and Dates)

7 - Renaissance to early modern + history of math/science/culinary concurrent with time period (heavily focused on social history rather than Important Men and Dates)

8 - Modern + history of math/science/culinary concurrent with time period (heavily focused on social history rather than Important Men and Dates)

8 - World Geography

9 - US history

10 - Latin American history

11- Human Geography

12- World History

US government/civics somewhere in there

Edited by deerforest