Menu

Bipartisan town hall and carpool karaoke

Barb_

From the article:

"The Democrat from El Paso and the Republican from San Antonio began their 1,600-mile road trip to Washington before dawn Tuesday"

"...the men weren’t much more than colleagues, brought together on this day, in this car, because they shared a common predicament and destination. A blizzard in the northeast had canceled Hurd’s flight back to Washington and delayed O’Rourke’s. They were due in the House for floor votes by 6 p.m. Wednesday."

"At first, the men seemed stiff, exchanging pleasantries and biographies.

But by nightfall, they felt like old friends, the kind that belt Johnny Cash’s “Ring of Fire†off tune, criticize each other’s driving, mock Whataburger drive-through orders and indulge on doughnuts at midnight in Memphis."

"At 5 a.m., they rented the Impala and crawled inside, O’Rourke behind the wheel and Hurd riding shotgun. Their only passengers were their cellphones, which, affixed to the dashboard, welcomed thousands of viewers to tune in for the ride.

They welcomed questions from their audience, personal and political in nature, and solicited playlist suggestions, must-see attractions and food pit stops to hit along the way."

Eventually they decided a side trip to Graceland :lol: Maybe we should make this a requirement. No more flights into DC, just rented cars accompanied by someone from across the aisle.

Here is the full story:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/03/15/snow-forces-2-congressmen-on-a-bipartisan-road-trip-from-texas-to-d-c-and-they-live-streamed-it/?hpid=hp_hp-morning-mix_mm-congressmen%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.fa33462b12cc

• Like 15

From the article:

"The Democrat from El Paso and the Republican from San Antonio began their 1,600-mile road trip to Washington before dawn Tuesday"

He's my rep.  It's kind of funny that they labeled him from San Antonio (his office is here and he's from the area... maybe that's why).  His district is part of San Antonio, but stretches all the way to El Paso and includes 800 miles of border.  It's a LOT more than San Antonio.  If I am thinking of the giant district's boundaries correctly, he's Kinsa's rep, too, and she lives pretty far from me now that she left San Antonio :)

Also, I love that they did this!  Makes me like my rep a bit more.

• Like 3