Menu

schoolyourself.org for Algebra and Geometry?

using it currently on the edX platform. My goal is to introduce topics to my youngest and let her try a handful of problems in a topic. 

too early to have a major opinion on it just yet. I'm using it for supplement with "modified course" (special ed learner who will not need alg and geo for ACT or anything like that).  One thing that I notice that would bother me if I were using it as full class is that you can easily have a false sense of "got this" if you only do the 5 problems per topic to be "done" with topic.  It really feels more like it's a review and brush up course.  Not a lot of word problems with it.  Not sure I'd want to use it as main course for average or above learner for their first time in either course.   But we're using it in spite of that.  It's supplemental and review and see stuff in different way as part of helping youngest while she uses Key to series, and hands on equations. She's special ed.

things that I do like: she's able to follow the presentation. I like how there are hint/I'm not really sure buttons to show more and review a previous topic that may have been forgotten.  

I just don't have the experience using it as solo program or with average and advanced kids.   I know it says it covers topics typical for high school year.

• Like 1

Thank you for your review.  I played around with it this morning for about an hour and was impressed with the presentation and interactivity of it.  However, I would agree it is really not thorough enough in content to be a full course for Algebra anyway.    

I am thinking of using Mathhelp.com as the main program and this one as the supplement.

Yes, I'll reiterate what I said in the post Mark linked - it's a great tool, but absolutely pay attention to your intuition that there is a false sense of "I got this."  There just isn't enough practice, and no word problems or application problems. I think this has some significant applications - as a pre-algebra or pre-geometry for a younger student, as a teaching aid paired with a traditional textbook (for practice, application & word problems) or as a review of concepts, for adult learners or for someone who has had some time off from one of the topics, etc.  My dd did both classes in 8th grade, but she's still doing a full Algebra & Geometry program. The lessons were great, and helpful, and I'm really glad we used the resource, but it's not sufficient on it's own to master the material or to retain it long-term.

• Like 2