Menu

Anyone familiar with Anna Maria Island, FL?

popmom

We have reserved at house on the northern end of the island for early May. This will be our first visit to Anna Maria, so I know very little about the island.

One of my daughters (19) is interested in renting a kayak for the week. I'm a little worried about her taking a kayak out in the gulf. Would love to know where there is a place to put in on the bay side of the island. Or maybe a public access to a canal. We are staying on Jacaranda Rd.

Also, I'm wanting to make a wildlife scavenger hunt for my 11 yr old dd. She enjoys birdwatching--and all things animal related. I know this is a long shot, but I'm trying to compile a list of birds that can be commonly seen on the island in May. I've been to a few websites, so I've got a pretty good start, but I'm not sure which ones we have a good shot at spotting. Some are only there in the winter, for example.

Any other recommendations are welcome. :)

Edited by stephensgirls

There are a couple kayak rental places on the way to Anna Maria....just a few blocks from the turn off to go to public parking. They would be able to give you good ideas on where to go. There are several public areas before you get to the island that are more enclosed and the water will be a bit calmer. Ive seen people out there with their horses so I would venture a guess that it's shallower.

In a lot of those areas there are houses butting up against the canals, so you may have a hard time finding one for public use.

We have stayed in a house that abuts a canal so we had the kayaks delivered to the dock. I would follow Tbog's suggestion.  

It's a fabulous place. I am sure you will have a great time.

Wildlife--you will definitely see anoles (lizards) and possibly iguanas (usually at night--look at the ceiling of your porch), tree frogs, large grasshoppers and maybe snakes (are you going to DeSoto National Park?) 

We have seen dolphins,rays and manatees in the water, and swordfish being caught by fishermen close enough that we can see from a swimming depth in the beach.  We have seen jellyfish, sea cucumbers, starfish, sand fleas, and sand dollars (live and dead), etc.  Bird wise you will see the ibis, sea gulls, herons, etc.  

Here is a list of wildlife found at DeSoto which should be pretty applicable to the region: https://www.nps.gov/deso/learn/nature/animals.htm

Bring your snorkel if you have one. The water can be really clear at times.  

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 2

Find Captain Kim. Start your adventure with her. She will take you on her boat to all kinds of places including those with lots of animals. With her, you will see cormorants, pelicans, anhinga, etc. She is a native and knows everywhere else to go to meet your family's needs.

• Like 2

Thanks, y'all! I'm really looking forward to this! Do you think the gulf will be too cold to swim in early May? The house we are renting has a nice heated pool, but I'm hoping the ocean will be tolerable, too.

Not sure. We go in early June and it is fine.  Maybe someone else can comment??

• Like 1