Menu

Language Arts - is this enough?

mom of 2 boys

Hi there, I was feeling pretty comfortable with my language arts choices for next year (1st grade), until I took a look at that "Good and the Beautiful" Language Arts Curriculum. There's a lot going on in there, and it kind of made me second guess my choices. I'm planning on using AAS 1, explode the code and then just using readers from the library for practice. Is there something else that I should be considering? 

Thanks! 

I would just focus on learning to read well and lots of enjoying read aloud books together. What you have sounds fine. I don't even think you need AAS if reading isn't solid yet.

Thank you! He is reading fairly well. I am not sure what "level" he is technically at, but he's finishing up "Frog and Toad are Friends" right now and he needed help with a word or two on maybe about half the pages. We will be finishing up Progressive Phonics by the end of this school year. 

I found that in our family, leaving spelling until 2nd grade worked better. My two were both reading full novels by grade 1, so it wasn't a reading level issue, either.

I might skip AAS for now and do copywork instead.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So spelling, phonics, and reading? I'd add daily copywork, starting with small, simple sentences and working up to longer more complicated pieces as his skill and endurance grow. You could add First Language Lessons level 1 if you would like to start a gentle, read and snuggle on the couch approach to grammar; it's NOT necessary at this age.

Here's what my youngest will use for 1st grade this fall.

-keep working on phonics until Sing, Spell, Read, & Write level 1 is completed, then R&S spelling 2 will take over

-reading lots and lots of good picture books, finish any First Favorites (VP) not completed, listen to lots of read alouds

-daily copywork (occasionally replaced by FF)

I will discuss grammar and punctuation with him through his copywork, but I'm leaning toward holding off on formal grammar for now. He doesn't need much in the way of review on technical issues and he'd fly through FLL 1. I'm not in a hurry for him to be ahead, so I'm planning on him doing all of the old combined level 1/2 book in 2nd grade.

Hi there, I was feeling pretty comfortable with my language arts choices for next year (1st grade), until I took a look at that "Good and the Beautiful" Language Arts Curriculum. There's a lot going on in there, and it kind of made me second guess my choices. I'm planning on using AAS 1, explode the code and then just using readers from the library for practice. Is there something else that I should be considering? 

Thanks! 

For a little person who is just 6, AAS and ETC are enough. Wait...is there penmanship in there? Because that is pretty important for little 6yo persons. :-)