Menu

If you are watching both your sodium and your potassium intake, I'd appreciate knowing what commercial products you use.

Kareni

If you are watching both your sodium and your potassium intake, I'd appreciate knowing what commercial products you use.

I'm particularly interested in what you might use for bouillon/stock and baking powder but would happily appreciate learning of any products you use.

Regards,

Kareni

You can avoid the issue with the stock by making your own. The low/no sodium products I do know about replace sodium with potassium.  So that doesn't really help you there. 

I can't answer the other one.

My dad has to watch both, but potassium in particular.  When trying to cook around that when he visits it's surprising to me how many vegetables have potassium! 

• Like 1

My stepmother has to watch both, but it's a recent development and they are still experimenting to find what will work. I've taken them over a number of Penzey's salt-free seasoning blends to try and they've liked them. We use Penzey's all the time and love the quality. I also picked up some Bakon smoked torula yeast (no sodium) and some vegan popcorn seasoning that uses nutritional yeast (has a little sodium per serving, I think 9 grams in the blend) at the local Seventh Day Adventist store for them to check out. http://www.penzeys.com      

They were going to try the Ener-G sodium-free baking powder (no potassium either) http://www.ener-g.com/baking-powder.html They also have baking soda substitute http://www.ener-g.com/baking-soda.html Heart Healthy Market has a sodium-free baking powder from Hain, but it has potassium. You might find some other products there. www.hearthealthymarket.com

For bouillon, maybe stock with some ramped up/intensified seasoning? I'm thinking smoked paprika, mushrooms (probably something stronger than button ones), Penzey's has a great roasted garlic. I even saw a recipe for cooking using lapsang souchong tea (which is very smoky--like campfire smoky) to flavor, but haven't tried it yet.

Good luck!

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 2

I guess I'm wondering whether you're wanting to increase your salt intake or limit it? I'm working on making sure I am taking in enough sodium, so that's initially what I thought you were asking.

I measure out 1.5 tsp of salt in a little cup and I add it to my food or just dip my finger in now and then. I don't eat any processed foods, so that's my entire salt intake for the day. http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/dangers-not-eating-enough-salt 

• Like 1

We watch sodium but not potassium, and we don't have to be super low on sodium, but some products are so high we don't use them at all (bouillon). Things we use:

The Ener-G baking powder

Homemade chicken broth with no salt, but we can also use Swanson's reduced sodium (it's still highish if you need really low numbers)

no salt added diced tomatoes (Kroger is cheapest) and tomato sauce

Trader Joe's has a no salt added marinara, plus unsalted crushed tomatoes in larger cans that we use

Homemade for many things: taco seasoning, salad dressing, pizza dough

Fresh mozzarella is the best regular cheese for sodium around here. Some reduced fat slices are also ok for us in sodium.

Low sodium bacon, deli turkey (may be too high for a super low goal)

Garlic powder and onion powder are your friends. Garlic salt is better than regular salt or seasoning salt sodium-wise if you can handle some Na.

• Like 1

You can avoid the issue with the stock by making your own. The low/no sodium products I do know about replace sodium with potassium.  So that doesn't really help you there.

Yes, I've noticed that, too.  I could wish to find a no sodium/low potassium flavorful cube for stock.  We may well end up making our own stock.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, SparklyUnicorn.

ETA: Your dancing bacon strips remind me that I really REALLY miss eating bacon!  I saw a recipe using pork belly for a low sodium version in the Low-So Good: A Guide to Real Food, Big Flavor, and Less Sodium ... cookbook; however, it's fairly complex.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

My stepmother has to watch both, but it's a recent development and they are still experimenting to find what will work. I've taken them over a number of Penzey's salt-free seasoning blends to try and they've liked them. We use Penzey's all the time and love the quality. I also picked up some Bakon smoked torula yeast (no sodium) and some vegan popcorn seasoning that uses nutritional yeast (has a little sodium per serving, I think 9 grams in the blend) at the local Seventh Day Adventist store for them to check out. http://www.penzeys.com     

I'll certainly take a look at Penzey's offering.  And those Bakon Yeast Seasonings look intriguing.

They were going to try the Ener-G sodium-free baking powder (no potassium either) http://www.ener-g.com/baking-powder.html They also have baking soda substitute http://www.ener-g.com/baking-soda.html Heart Healthy Market has a sodium-free baking powder from Hain, but it has potassium. You might find some other products there. www.hearthealthymarket.com

We tried the Hain Featherweight but stopped that because of the potassium content; I hadn't been aware of Ener-G baking powder so that's good news.  Thank you!

Regards,

Kareni

I guess I'm wondering whether you're wanting to increase your salt intake or limit it? I'm working on making sure I am taking in enough sodium, so that's initially what I thought you were asking.

I should have been more clear in my original post, Sarah, but we are indeed trying to limit our sodium intake.  We've just started taking Losartan and the fine print suggests that we not indulge in too much potassium.

Many thanks!

Regards,

Kareni

Trader Joe's has a no salt added marinara ...

I had overlooked this on my initial survey of Trader Joe's low sodium offerings, so this was a very happy piece of news.  I purchased some, and we used it as a homemade pizza topping last night.  My husband is a real pasta lover, so I'm very grateful for this.

Fresh mozzarella is the best regular cheese for sodium around here.

The mozzarella I've seen locally is still fairly high; do you have a particular brand that you use?

I've seen some Swiss cheeses here that are as low as 40mg sodium per ounce.  (Swiss cheese has never been a favorite of mine, but I'm going to give it a try.)

I've also seen some spreadable goat cheese with a low sodium content.  Ricotta and marscarpone also seem relatively low.

Thanks for your suggestions, Ali.

Regards,

Kareni

The mozzarella I've seen locally is still fairly high; do you have a particular brand that you use?

I've seen some Swiss cheeses here that are as low as 40mg sodium per ounce.  (Swiss cheese has never been a favorite of mine, but I'm going to give it a try.)

I've also seen some spreadable goat cheese with a low sodium content.  Ricotta and marscarpone also seem relatively low.

Thanks for your suggestions, Ali.

Regards,

Kareni

Bel Gioso fresh mozzarella is what I've found here. I don't have any in the house to check, but googling shows a sodium content of 85 mg per oz. When I'm trying to make a low sodium pizza, the biggest difference is to make my own dough without salt--saves a huge amount over a purchased dough. Then I use about 4 oz of this cheese per pizza (and a no salt added homemade pizza sauce). To make it taste a little more exciting I will brush the dough with olive oil and put some garlic powder and Italian seasoning on top.

• Like 1

Bel Gioso fresh mozzarella is what I've found here. I don't have any in the house to check, but googling shows a sodium content of 85 mg per oz. ...

Ooh, that does sound far lower than what I've seen thus far locally.  I will definitely be on the lookout for Bel Gioso now.  It's been quite a revelation to see how various brands differ in their sodium content.

Thanks for the added information, Ali ~

Regards,

Kareni

I've been taking Losartan for years. Since my bp is primarily affected by sodium, I try to limit sodium content to 1500.  Eating out is usually what spikes my bp so try to avoid if possible. And if not, limit to once a week or so and drink lots of water.  The sodium free or reduced bullion really don't have much taste to them.  I use Swanson's reduced sodium broth instead of bullion and use a lot of herbs such as  dill, basil, thyme, tarragon, etc for flavor.   For gravy, I usually go with broth or milk for cream gravy.  Baking powder - Clabber girl double acting baking powder which has 65 mg of sodium.  Lots of fresh steamed vegetables, salad with avocado, etc.    Block cheese shredded versus processed cheese which is loaded with sodium. Mix up your own pasta rather than the box stuff.  You'd be surprised at the sodium content in some things, including bread.  

• Like 2

I've been taking Losartan for years.

You'd be surprised at the sodium content in some things....

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Robin.  And, yes, it's been an eye opening experience to see the sodium content of foods that I would have considered benign.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1