Menu

Adenomyosis and hysterectomy

I saw my gyne today as I have had a terrible time since #3 was born. I thought it might be my endometriosis coming back but tests show that it is most likely adenomyosis and that I may have to consider having a hysterectomy if I want to stop this constant pain and bleeding. :(

I am not familiar with that disorder...however, I have struggled with severe endometreosis and was eventually scheduled for a hystectomy. The day before surgery I apologetically called the doc. and canceled; it didn't feel right, I was only 23 and......I believe in miracles. This is what I told him. I did not want to be on hormones for the rest of my life. The pain was chronic but I felt like I would endure it for awhile longer mainly given my age....and I believed firmly that somehow, some way my creator would heal me. Endometreosis is such a wierd disease that they don't know a lot about and this indicated to me that it may be a spiritual root (not to sound too wacky) not a physical one...in this case, fixing it physically would not ultimately end the issue......I don't know if this makes sense at all.

I then began the journey of finding out what really was going on. During the journey I realized so many, many things....maybe I won't get into now.

Three years later I was pregnant again with no signs of the disease. Currenlty I am preg. AGAIN and still sympton free...it has been 7 years.

I am not sure if this helps at all. If you have any questions as I know this is sort of wierd, please ask.

In my opinion every other realm should be looked at before such a serious surgery, one that can never be undone. I would be curious as to what a naturopath would have to say?

I am not sure your beliefs, but I firmly believe that G-d's will is that things be on earth as they are in heaven....in heaven you are NOT disordered in any way....this truth I held onto for a long time even when I did not

FEEL it. Eventually my body aligned with these spiritual truths and I still have my organs and a future with more kids, if I want.

If this is not for you, just ignore it.

Blessings to you; female stuff.....makes me so mad!!!! I do not believe we need suffer in such ways...

Emerald

I did have severe endometriosis and had it removed three years ago. I went on to have two more kids. But there are many days when I really struggle to care for my three boys, when I feel utterly drained and am doubled over in pain and nausea. I am in my 30's which still seems to young for something so dramatic but on the other hand menopause, and the end of these symptoms, is still at least 15 years away.

This link explains what it is.

I read quickly through the link.

Is this considered a ramification of endometreosis? A side effect?

Is sounds very painful...I am so sorry for this.

When I was scheduled for the surgery my doctor told me that most of the woman that were in my position were so relieved for it all to be over after the surgery; they had instant relief. He said, noone regretted it.

You know you (and your situation) the best. If your overall quality of life is being affected then I certainly understand why you are considering the different possiblities.

emerald

I have had to come up to speed with this only today, but from what i have read endometriosis is endometrial tissue that is in the abdominal cavity, outside the uterus. Adnomyosis is endometrial tissue inside the muscle wall of the uterus. As such it is impossible to find and/or remove it without a hysterectomy.

Women who have had endo may also have adnomyosis.

I saw my gyne today as I have had a terrible time since #3 was born. I thought it might be my endometriosis coming back but tests show that it is most likely adenomyosis and that I may have to consider having a hysterectomy if I want to stop this constant pain and bleeding. :(

Mine was for a different reason, but I had constant bleeding, too (we're talking everyday here not just for a weekly cycle). I went in with fear for my hysterectomy but it was the BEST thing I EVER did, literally. I feel better than I have in at least 10 years (I'm 43 now) and it was nothing but a good decision. Yesterday was six months since I had it done. I guess I'm just saying if you have to have one, they are so much easier now. I only have my ovaries left and within 3 weeks I was a normal person again. The new surgery types are amazing and so much of the bad stuff associated with surgery is gone. A lot can be done laproscopic (spelling?) now.

I had a hysterectomy about a year after our last baby was born (similar symptoms). I would be more than happy to share my experience with you if you would like to PM me . . . I'm also a Registered Nurse. :D .... and can at least point you in the right direction for case studies and such, if you'd like to do some more independent research.

Blessings!

Had that actually - and wouldn't have the hysterectomy for years - finally did - and it was a miracle! Surgery was no fun at all - I remember lying in the hospital bed that night after the surger thinking God if you decide to take me now you will get no complaint . . . I react badly to anesthesia. Even so, the surgery was well worth it.

I would love to hear from anyone else who has gone through this. What have you decided and how has it worked out?

BusyMum - just saw your post - I've been there! I've done that! :grouphug:

After #2 was born I had increasingly painful cycles, to the point I was taking handfuls of Advil and Tylenol every couple hours and lying in a huddle on my bed. Diagnosis was adenomyosis/endometriosis.

I had a laparascope-assisted vaginal hysterectomy in January of this year. Left my ovaries intact, removed the offender and I am One Happy Woman. First two weeks post-op suck. After that, it's smooth sailing. Happy to talk to you about it here, PM or email! :)

This sounds like what I had. One doctor recommended a hysterectomy. Went to another and asked about endometrial ablation. He said he could schedule that and be ready to do a complete hysterectomy if needed. I ended up with only the EO. It has been wonderful. It helped right away, but took six months to really help. But now with the last few months of extra stress, my period is back and the pain is, too. Maybe I should have had the complete hysterectomy. My doctor told me he could save the ovaries which is wonderful if you have that option.

I'm just thankful for a break from all that went on before.

Thank you so much for your replies! As you can imagine I am feeling quite shocked. This is a huge decision.

Ironically enough, I recently started a thread on here about knowing when to have more kids as I have been struggling with the idea of having another one anytime soon. It seems a rather drastic answer to our prayers though!

I had a hysterectomy two years ago for the adenomyoma, in addition to endometriosis, a complete prolapse, and fibroid tumors. It was a very hard decision to make and I delayed making it for many months. When the pain became unmanageable with Aleve I finally scheduled the surgery. What a relief! I wished I had done it sooner. Of course, all surgeries carry risk, and had I had a complication, I might feel differently. But, the quality of my life is greatly improved since I had my uterus removed.

Kris

Edited by Confuzzled
adenomyoma and andenomyosis aren't exactly the same.

I have adenomyosis. I am choosing to treat the symptoms with otc meds for the time being primarily because the symptoms will disappear with menopause and I am almost 46. If they were any worse than they are I would opt for the surgery. I still may if they persist long enough. It is the only real treatment for it.

I have adenomyosis. I am choosing to treat the symptoms with otc meds for the time being primarily because the symptoms will disappear with menopause and I am almost 46. If they were any worse than they are I would opt for the surgery. I still may if they persist long enough. It is the only real treatment for it.

I had adenomyosis, but I was still in my 20's and had no children when it was diagnosed. The cure, according to my doc, was a hysterectomy or pregnancy. Of course, it interferes with conception, so the second option was a long time in coming. It has been much better since the girls were born, but slowly it is coming back. I assume I will be in menopause before it gets so bad again that I would opt for the hysterectomy. If I were younger, I would go for it. I was taking 20 ibuprofen a day and soaking in boiling hot baths just to take the edge off. I do feel for you.

I had adenomyosis, but I was still in my 20's and had no children when it was diagnosed. The cure, according to my doc, was a hysterectomy or pregnancy. Of course, it interferes with conception, so the second option was a long time in coming. It has been much better since the girls were born, but slowly it is coming back. I assume I will be in menopause before it gets so bad again that I would opt for the hysterectomy. If I were younger, I would go for it. I was taking 20 ibuprofen a day and soaking in boiling hot baths just to take the edge off. I do feel for you.

I'm 34 with three children. Menopause is a long way off and it is hard keeping up with my busy boys when I am feeling so sick, sore and exhausted. :(

I spoke to our priest today and he really helped us see how this could be God's will for our family.

I'm 34 with three children. Menopause is a long way off and it is hard keeping up with my busy boys when I am feeling so sick, sore and exhausted. :(

I spoke to our priest today and he really helped us see how this could be God's will for our family.

Just pm'd you!

Praying you will find the relief you need and peace for the decision.

• 2 months later...

I received my pathology report from my hysterectomy 2 weeks ago. Adenomyosis was the condition I apparently suffered from. Its so nice to have a diagnosis. Not sure why. I wasn't ever expecting a pathology report or any definitive answers.

I'm 2 weeks post-op and exhausted, sore but trying to walk 3 times day. I just drove for the first time and managed to get some groceries w/ a dd 4 in the cart.

Just curious what the OP has decided. Surgery or no?

Thanks!!