Menu

So if your child's issues are too severe for a social skills class...

SarahW

OP, about your original questions. I think it might help if you think about it as a specific group not being a good fit, instead of taking it as a sign that he isn't ready for any social skills group. I think it was our original NP who, when suggesting a social skills group, cautioned that it can take a little time to find a place in one, because the needs addressed by each group are specific, and the balance of participants is important. Not every group is right for every child. Maybe private sessions are a way to begin, as I think others have suggested. I also think it's not a bad idea to wait until your evaluations are complete, which was also suggested, because it will hopefully help you target his specific needs.

I know this kind of thing hurts. We've been through it ourselves, when DS was deemed an inappropriate fit for a place in a certain program (in our case, it was a school, not a social group). It stung.  :grouphug:

Edited by Storygirl

I'm not hurt.

I'm just confused.

Really, I don't feel that emotional about any of this.

I'm honestly a bit confused why people think I am probably upset.

I'm not being testy, I'm just confused, and want to clear the air.

I don't even care that much Crazypants is dx'ed ASD. I really don't. I see that it matters to other people, but I don't really share the feeling. <shrug>

I'm not even in denial, seriously! 

Sarah, I think that part way, your thread took a different turn that had nothing to do with you or CP. I don't do private IMs so I will say this here. For any part I had in this, I apologize.

I'm late to this, so I have no idea what all the deletions are about, but, re: the OP:

Try to find a support group in NL or Drenthe or w/e for parents of Aspie kids. They might have more knowledge of possible local(ish) resources, which therapists are good, etc.

Other than that, I'm afraid I'm no help. My high school dean told my parents I should try some social skills group when I was 14 (iirc), and it was a waste of my time (it was outside of school hours of course and I even had to use a train to go to a different city for it). The guy leading the social skills group admitted that he didn't know how to help me. So, yay. On the bright side, I turned out fine in the end? I know my brother got bounced around a LOT in secondary school because he was too smart for this, but too autistic for that, etc, etc, etc, BUT, it's been a decade and a half, so hopefully services etc are much better now for Aspies.