Menu

Any experience with University of Texas Extension?

Has anyone tried / used University of Texas Extension for early college or dual enrollment?

They haven't got a huge array of courses online, but having open enrollment and a real UT transcript make those courses rather enticing.  The only thing I can see that detracts from it at all is the "correspondence course" label that will be assigned to the transcript, and I'm not sure that matters much at the level of courses being taught.

If you've used them, I'd love to hear your experiences!

I'm not sure if this is the same thing you're talking about, but we are likely going to do dual enrollment online next fall through UTPB (UT Permian Basin, in Midland). Our local high school uses this online setup as their dual credit program.

Edited by Kinsa

Extension classes have been around in TX a long time. Lots of high schools that simply cannot offer calculus (for example), so the colleges offer lower division classes (and often high school classes) to fill in the gap. I spent a good part of grad school grading papers for high school math students doing classes through TTU extension (now TTUISD). Regionally, I suspect it might even be a plus since it would be an example of looking for opportunities to take the most rigorous classes available.

• Like 1

I would think they'd be viewed similarly regionally. I'd be surprised if anything with a UT name on it would prove a disadvantage (except maybe by A&M...)

A&M is required to take anything with a UT name.  They must hate it.  :boxing_smiley:

It looks like an interesting route to a serious calculus credit - the 408C / 408D sequence wallops any AP calculus course available...  Government, economics, history, and psychology are also all well represented. 

• Like 2

Mike, I just wanted to say that I'm very intrigued by this. Exams have to be proctored? Our nearest testing site is two hours away, but that's okay if it's occasional and not every day. What course are you considering, and which option are you considering? I rather like the self-paced option, especially since our electricity/internet is extremely unreliable. And if I'm understanding correctly, you still need to "place" into the classes via the TSI?

By the way, it doesn't seem any different than the dual credit my older kids did through two different community colleges in San Antonio (Northwest Vista in person, and St. Phillip's via online). I counted it as dual credit on their (home made) high school transcript, and the colleges issued transcripts for full college credit, which transferred into the colleges they ultimately ended up attending.

Edited by Kinsa

By the way, it doesn't seem any different than the dual credit my older kids did through two different community colleges in San Antonio (Northwest Vista in person, and St. Phillip's via online). I counted it as dual credit on their (home made) high school transcript, and the colleges issued transcripts for full college credit, which transferred into the colleges they ultimately ended up attending.

There are a couple of differences in that ACCD doesn't allow children under 16, and that it's UT-Austin, not a community college.  Plus, it's open enrollment (no TSI that I can see, though that isn't an issue for us - SAT scores are high enough).

Are you sure it's open enrollment? I thought I read that TSI is required.

Hmmm... now that I think about it, I think the TSI requirement was listed in the specific course description. (Looking at College Algebra. Need a 350 on the TSI math section.)

Edited by Kinsa

Oh wait. Open enrollment means you don't have to go through the process of applying for admission to UT, right? That's nice. My older kids had to apply for admission to the ACCD colleges. That was a pain in the rear.

Oh wait. Open enrollment means you don't have to go through the process of applying for admission to UT, right? That's nice. My older kids had to apply for admission to the ACCD colleges. That was a pain in the rear.

Correct.  We haven't used it yet, but I don't think they check anything - you just buy the course, just like in TTUISD.

A&M is required to take anything with a UT name.  They must hate it.  :boxing_smiley:

It looks like an interesting route to a serious calculus credit - the 408C / 408D sequence wallops any AP calculus course available...  Government, economics, history, and psychology are also all well represented. 

408C  "Calculators of any kind will not be allowed on exams" - my DS would not like that 

looks good for TX folks

408C  "Calculators of any kind will not be allowed on exams" - my DS would not like that 

looks good for TX folks

That translates to: all the problems will have a trick to make the math easy to do by hand.

The 408 C/D sequence is equivalent to the 3 semester sequence at UT and Texas community colleges. If the online format isn't ideal, your local CC will offer an equivalent but slower sequence.

Edited by chiguirre

That translates to: all the problems will have a trick to make the math easy to do by hand.

Not a "trick," per se, but an expected method that obviates the need for technology.  The method will be clearly described in class.  Sorry, but I get picky about this difference.  :)

One thing which can be odd about the 408C/D sequence: if the destination school isn't familiar with the level of rigor involved, it may assume that the "Calculus III" portion is getting slighted.  Most know better, but no guarantees.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just updatinga little bit, but we decided not to go with the UT Extension and to use the dual credit through UT Permian Basin instead. Two reasons: one, the extension campus didn't have one of the classes we needed, and two, the price difference.