Menu

S/O of my S/O (lol)-what courses would be good for senior year high school to prep for nursing in college?

Fourisenough mentioned doing an A+P prep course senior year to prep for nursing college, which I hadn't thought of! That made me wonder what else we could be doing to prep, whether it be school subjects, extracurriculars, etc.

And would pre-calc be the math we want after Algebra 2 to prep for nursing? (she is not super strong in math) Or something else?

Any online high school or college courses (or dual enrollment) that would be helpful?

THANK YOU! This is our first rodeo with college, so it's a little nerve-wracking! :)

Medical Terminology

CPR & Basic Life Support for the Healthcare Provider certification

CNA courses are short (10 weeks?) and at some colleges where nursing is an impacted major those students who have prior healthcare work experience get priority over students with only volunteer experience

• Like 2

Do you know where she will be going for nursing? I would check their requirements and how the timing works. My daughter graduates this spring and is going into nursing. She is doing A & P and Pre-calc her senior year, but we found out last November that the CNA license is a required pre-requisite for the local nursing program. If she waits until fall to take it, then it either puts her behind a year (they only take applications once a year in the spring), or it means she would have to double up some classes later (there are some pre-requisites she has to have done before applying, but then there are also a few support courses that can be taken during nursing school but they add a lot to the load and most students find it easier to do them ahead of time.) So, thankfully we found out in time to plan--there's a CNA class that starts in May, so we're going to have her graduate a few weeks earlier than I originally planned, just in time to do that one. Then she can do the pre-req's in the fall and the support classes in the spring and apply in the spring.

Here they have a point system for who they accept, and both work experience and volunteer experience can earn points.

Anyway, I'm sure there are variances among schools, but I would look into things now to help you plan things out. 

I would second the advice to check with the school she'll be attending to ask about prerequisites.   My mom went through nursing school in the late 1980's, when I was in high school, and the highest math she needed in college was college algebra.   She also needed a college course in physical science (I remember because I was in high school trig and physics at the time, and tutored her through both of her classes.)   Your DD could potentially dual enroll one or  both of those classes to get her prerequisites out of the way.   A & P is a great idea, because she'll definitely be taking it again in nursing school and a high school course will help with all of the memorization that course will require.