Menu

s/o - Anybody tried nontoxic or homemade floor (paste) wax?

Katy

I've been delaying waxing my old wood floors because I don't want to deal with the awful turpentine scent of the wax I have in the linen closet.

So...  Anybody tried making nontoxic wax with beeswax and mineral oil?  Or tried a nontoxic brand that you loved?  I mean actual paste wax here, not that shiny non-wax floor polish that eventually makes the floor sticky anyway.

LOL, no, I meant floor wax.  Apparently you can make it yourself by combining oil (Walnut or Mineral oil) and beeswax. I just don't want to take the time to make it myself and wax my old wood floors with it if I'll hate the results and have to strip it off with an ammonia solution - which, in my book, would be worse than the awful chemical smell of the wood wax I already have.

• Like 1

I have made a wax with beeswax and olive oil that I use to condition cutting boards, kitchen cabinets, and to treat my daughter's eczema. I could see it working well on wood floors, but like all natural solutions, it would take longer, have less impressive results, and require more frequent application.

When you do a beeswax/oil meltdown, you put in about 6-7 parts oil to beeswax.  I used to make my own skin goop doing this, and adding essential oils for my eczema, different ones for dh's psoriasis.  I used about 4x as much safflower as olive oil, however.  

So after doing this for a long time, I found a similar product for use on wood, and it adds carnauba wax to the mix.  It's got unrefined beeswax, carnauba, olive oil and pure essential oils and is about the consistency of Vaseline.  

You can look it up here:  www.DaddyVans.com.  I use it on all my wood furniture, but I won't use it on the floor.  The reason is that you apply it, let it sit and then you buff it a LOT so there is no residue, which will become *gummy* and then you have to use a solvent to get it off.  And then, what's the point?  So there is just too much wood floor for me to deal with this.  But it really makes furniture shine, and I have to mess around with it a lot less than with, say, Old English or whatever wood polish.  

I just looked on their website and see that they have other products that might be in line with what you are looking for, as well.