Menu

Does fine with AoPs Pre-Algebra but doesn't like it?

I'm looking for math for Goldilocks. She had finished through BA 5B and started on AoPS Pre-Algebra. We got through Chapter 3. She was doing pretty well (answers correctly) but she has very low frustration tolerance and it's just painful to watch her work through it. She is either pleased when she gets things correct or furious and in tears when they are wrong. I've explained until I'm blue in the face that this is not a math book where she is expected took answer every problem correctly and on the first try, but...We took a break When BA 5C came out and now it's time to move back into pre-Algebra again. I should mention that having math be too easy makes her frustrated as well. "I ALREADY know this!!!"

So, I read somewhere that the first few chapters of the Pre Algebra book are the hardest. Is that true? Should we push on a little longer and see if she feels better about it? Or...I also have Jousting Armadillos on the shelf, but the last time we looked at it, she kind of turned her nose up at it and said it was too easy. Ugh. I need something not too hard, not too soft. I need one that is just right! And Jousting Armadillos doesn't cover geometry in their series do they? I would need to do something else for that. Ugh.

Ideas for what to do for a Goldilocks student who needs a rigorous math education as she is likely headed for a career in the sciences or engineering?

Thanks.

She is either pleased when she gets things correct or furious and in tears when they are wrong.

... I should mention that having math be too easy makes her frustrated as well.

My DS11 is similar, he literally dance when he gets the answer for his aops online class homework and wails when he gets it wrong. How willing are you to tolerate her crying? My DS12 doesn't cry but has damaged a few keyboards and mice.

What has worked very well for my DS11 was letting him wail over the aops classes he insisted on and then do a drill and kill. Intro to geometry and physics is easy for this kid and I get no wailing. The last few chapters of prealgebra were easier for my kids. Into to Algebra, intermediate algebra and chemistry gets the wails. Biology gets him asleep. He can change emotions in a split second and also falls asleep out of boredom :lol: He is looking at engineering or applied science because he loves hands on.

For all the math drama at my home, English essay drama is lots worse.

• Like 3

She might be on the young side for AoPS. It takes a certain maturity to be able to struggle with problems. While I do think the first few chapters are the hardest, it is sometimes best to set it aside and come back to later and see if she does better. Also sometime best to just power through. 

.. no real advice except that AoPS might go better with a little age.

• Like 2