Menu

Starting WTM halfway through 2nd grade and combining ages

Huddmama

So, I'm feeling a little lost right now. We were using a certain curriculum for this year and it is NOT a good fit at all so we gave it up before Christmas. My oldest DD (8) is in 2nd grade and we have just been focusing on math, handwriting, and grammar for now.

That being said, I found the WTM book at the library, read the whole thing over a weekend and bought my own copy. I'm nervous about where to start her though. She hasn't had much instruction in history or science up to now. So I know I want to start at the beginning for history (per WTM) and she would like to study biology for science first before moving on to astronomy and chemistry.

How will we progress though? Technically she should start 3rd grade in the fall but we'll still be working on 1st grade work. Should I just push her through to chemistry and the Late Renaissance?

The only bonus to starting her at the beginning would be that I could include my younger DD (5) in science and history and not have to teach them again the following year with her.

Any advice? Pointers? Help!!

Edited by Huddmama

Don't think of it as "1st grade work".  She'll be studying the ancient world at a 3rd grade level (and your younger dd will be studying it at a 1st grade level).  SOTW is designed to be used at a variety of ages; you modify by asking a little more out of your older child.  For example, if you use the activity guide, you might have her write responses to the chapter questions, while your younger daughter would discuss them with you orally.  Likewise, many homeschool science programs can work for kids 2 years apart.

• Like 1

SOTW 1 is great for those ages.  I would get the activity books; all of my boys have enjoyed the coloring pages, maps and activities, and I have found the book lists very valuable.

As for science, I have found Mr. Q to be perfect for my kiddos (5 and 7 with a tag-a-long preschooler).  It covers science basics thoroughly, but in a very conversational, engaging way.  The activities are simple and accessible, and I love that some of the experiments focus on teaching the scientific method.  Plus, his life science curriculum is completely free, so it is an easy place to start.

Wendy

It's not 1st grade work, like others said. My younger one is two years younger than her sis, so she didn't start ancients in 1st. She jumped into SOTW 3 in 1st grade since her sister (who did do SOTW 1 in 1st) was up to 3 in her 3rd grade year. Younger didn't do SOTW1 and biology until 3rd grade (when her sis was starting 2nd rotation in 5th grade with logics.) That way I have kept them together in the cycle. They both work where they are as far as reading and writing. It is just about whatever content we are in for the year.

Currently they are both in an ancients year. One is starting her high school rotation in 9th grade. The other is in 7th grade doing ancients. For her this will actually be nice. She will have ancients in 11th grade if we stick to this schedule. The readings of the Illiad and Odyssey and Greek plays and such will be easier for her at that time than they would in 2 years. She can have some easier to read modern books for 9th and 10th grades. 

Edited by 2_girls_mommy

I would start history with both. Down the line you might want to consider how sensitive your younger dd is and whether you want to do Modern History with a 9yo. If you decide no, you could do a year or two of American History in between.

Keep in mind that every subject does not have to be challenging for everyone. It is ok to treat either or both of these subjects as casual introductions to their topics. Both will be covered again (or again and again) and in high school generally they are covered from the beginning regardless of background (obviously homeschooling can be more flexible).

• Like 1

Start at Ancients but, as others said, it's not "first grade work."  It's Ancients, done at her level and done at little sister's level for little sister.

As to science...that's one place I've disagreed with SWB.  History starts at the beginning and flows forward.  Science does not start at biology and then flow into chemistry and then into physics, or whatever the order is.  The streams of science are all interlinked, historically as well as currently.  So we use whatever science we like, with no regard for what period of history we're studying--in case that helps you to find options that work for your family.

And you don't need to repeat the material again next year for little sib.  Most families do history on the same time period for all children, at whatever level they're working on.  Science they might or might not combine, depending on what they're using.