Menu

A way to make Latin fun

happymainemom

We are using Prima Latina and my dd8 just thinks it's boring, even though she is willing to do it. I need some creative ideas on how to make it more fun or exciting. I can't spend a bunch of money, just need fun ideas to impliment.

We made a memory game out of the vocab, made "hello" and "goodbye" posters for the door, and post the vocab on a wall chart each week.

Any thoughts? :confused:

Thanks.

No ideas for you but I'm interested to hear what others say.

We ended up adding Lively Latin a couple of weeks ago because Prima Latina wasn't something the kids were all that excited about. I thought the kinder gentler approach would be a good intro for them, but it was just boring. Now I have them watch the PL DVD and work through the workbook during the DVD. Mainly I want the prayer part of PL. Then we'll listen to the CD of the prayer during the week. Everything else we do for the main latin learning now is LL. Granted it's only been a couple of weeks, but the kids now look forward to Latin and ask for it. Of course, this new method cost me another $55. Thank goodness I found PL on the board here used and just needed an extra student workbook!

We switched from Prima Latina to Latin for Children and they have great ideas to make Latin fun. We play Memory, matching Latin and English words, go fish doing the same, and we try and make sentences using the words we know. Also, Latin for Children has an online matching game that is free. I think your DD could easily play it using the words already learned with Prima Latina and look up in the book words that are new to her.

I keep seeing more and more prima latina sets for sale on the BST board and then see threads like this and it makes me wonder if I should have looked a bit further before buying PT. Thankfully I bought it used so I can probably switch over if need be - but eek - I wonder if it's a curriculum mistake in the making.....

We haven't started yet but I had planned to start my oldest after Christmas.

Hi,

I wrote the same post on an Australian website and got the suggestion of doing charades with the vocabulary words. From then on, everyone looked forward enthusiastically to Latin. It made such a difference - we got through a lesson a week, and by the time we got to the end of Prima Latina, they knew their vocabulary very well and were loving Latin. For Latina Christiana 1, we've stopped doing the charades but we've all got a much more positive outlook on Latin as a fun subject and now we all love the songs and learning our declensions, believe it or not!

HTH,

Jenny

I write vocab "wrong" on the white board. The kids LOVE it when I make mistakes.

For example, liber. I wrote

book - stylus

They said, "NOOOOO it's liber!" So, I wrote

book - lee bear

"NOOOO Mommy! L-I-B..." I wrote

book - library

"NOOOO Mommy, just let me do it!" :D:D

we have a Latin championship every Friday. My middle 2 are both at the same level in Latin, we did this when they were in Prima Latina, and we continue in latina Christiana.

what we do is I say the Latin word, holding up the flash card( that they have made themselves) and the first on to tell me the translation is gets the card. all draws go to the 5 year old. ( who hasn't started Latin yet) sometimes I do the English, and they have to tell me the Latin.

after we have gone through the whole stack, each child counts how many cards they got.We then get out one of those mini chocolate bars, and the looser has to cut a portion off according by how much the lost by and give that ti the winner.( usually just the corner)

the kids love it, and it really makes the whole weeks lesson exciting , looking forward to the Friday championship.

We switched from Prima Latina to Latin for Children and they have great ideas to make Latin fun. We play Memory, matching Latin and English words, go fish doing the same, and we try and make sentences using the words we know. Also, Latin for Children has an online matching game that is free. I think your DD could easily play it using the words already learned with Prima Latina and look up in the book words that are new to her.

Another "vote" here for Latin for Children to make learning Latin fun.

We first saw it a couple of years ago at a friend's house. My oldest son asked me afterwards when are we going to do that Latin. I pushed it off, trying to run from the added expense of "switching". Latin Primer was working for us at the time.

Then it was time for the younger siblings to learn Latin this school year. I somehow obtained a demo DVD for LfC (from Old Schoolhouse???) and after watching it I was *sold*. I sold my Latin Primer books and used the proceeds to help offset the purchase of LfC for all three kiddos. Oldest son is now our resident tutor having 2 years of Latin under his belt and I'm practically "hands free" for that subject. The three of them *love* their Latin study, esp. the little skit done on the DVD on "How the West was Unus" (very cute and funny).

Hope this helps!:auto:

for my second and third graders and then they charge into LfC A in 4th, B in 5th, C in 6th or straight into Latin Alive.

We're doing Song School and doing Prima words to beef it up, but this week we were having a blast with this item:

Exploratory Latin Review Activity Packet

http://aclclassics.org/tmrc/catalog.asp?parent=500&category=22&c=

I started teaching all the names of the animals and we were singing "Old McDonald had a farm" in Latin. What a blast we had. We gathered all the stuffed animals and wrote their names up and we did the Little People animals too. What I love about Song School Latin is we are learning those fun phrases and practical things that we never had time for when the kids were older.

1 Song School Latin book - you don't need a teacher's manual, isn't that expensive.

The Exploratory Latin Review packet also has a music packet you can buy, but I don't have it. I'd like it, but I'm doing without at the moment. My kids ate up the fact that I was speaking to them in complete Latin sentences.. "Avis sonat, "Cheep!"" They loved it.