Menu

DuoLingo (or alternative) apps that are easy to use with multiple kids

I appreciate DuoLingo for a lot of reasons, but am finding it a hassle to use now that I have a second child wanting to learn with it. I wish there was a way to stay logged in and have multiple accounts so they could just click on their name and go, instead of having to sign out (which is a hassle to find) and then log the new child in again. Maybe this sounds dumb, but my kids aren't really coordinated enough to do it themselves, and their user names ended up being kind of long and bulky.

Is there an easier way to switch between children, or is there another well-loved language learning app that would be easier for them to navigate? It needn't be free, but should be relatively inexpensive (no subscription services please, I much prefer one-and-done deals if they're not free).

What I do for this problem is:

Youngest always does his duolingo on my iPad. eldest always does it on his laptop. When he started over a year ago the website duolingo had a lot of typing compared to the app. So he installed "blue stacks" and uses the android app on his computer.

There has never been and they aren't not working on an easy way to switch between people.

The only other option, which we did for awhile is Youngest used Memrise instead of duolingo.

ETA memrise is free, and easy to use ad navingate.

Edited by Julie Smith
  • Like 1

I would just have simple, required usernames and passwords for them. No one is going to hack a Duolingo account.

I don't think it is a hacking concern, but rather the logistics of logging in and out.

My son normally does his duolingo on my tablet, but one day recently I had to log in to my duolingo there.  Man, was it a pain!  The log out is hidden - this itty bitty button three menus deep.  I sort of knew where it was, but it still took me over 5 minutes to get myself logged in and then 5 more afterwards to log him back in.  I don't have that kind of time to waste!!

I don't have a clue why duolingo can't simplify it.  We use a ton of websites and apps (many of them free), and almost all of them have a simple interface for choosing a user.

Wendy

• Like 1

We have a couple of old iPads and just use a different one for each user.

ETA: we've gotten two old iPads at garage sales/thrift buying and it's been relatively cheap and such a worthwhile investment for schooling (even though our screen usage tends to be low).

Edited by indigoellen@gmail.com

I'd give them simple usernames and passwords or put them on a device that remembers log in info.

We do the same for Memrise. Memrise is more challenging than Duolingo and may not be appropriate for kids that struggle with logging in.

What do you all find more challenging about Memrise? What course are you doing? Because, we have all used Memrise and Duolingo. 

We have all finished at least 25% of a duolingo tree, and at least the first 2 levels of the French course. We all find and agree that memrise is easier than Duolingo.

What do you all find more challenging about Memrise? What course are you doing? Because, we have all used Memrise and Duolingo. 

We have all finished at least 25% of a duolingo tree, and at least the first 2 levels of the French course. We all find and agree that memrise is easier than Duolingo.

We are all doing Spanish. Memrise expects fluency faster and it only accepts exact spelling and punctuation. You can't click on words for a reminder like in Duolingo. There's also a timed drill that knocks less fluent kids off kilter. Duolingo is fine with close enough spelling (unless it's a gender difference like los/las, plural/singular, etc), nothing is timed unless you want it to be, and it lets you take as long as you need to progress.

I have kids from 3rd to high school using these. I waited until they passed their Duolingo tree to start them on Memrise. Once there they still go into Duolingo to keep lighting up the old modules while working through Memrise levels.

Edited by SilverMoon

For what it's worth, if a kid can't easily manage logging in and out of apps or websites they're probably not really ready for Duolingo. Assuming usernames and passwords aren't complicated. Once their names and passwords are simplified put it on a post-it note or a whiteboard near where they usually do their schooling so they can reference it as needed. If the app is too difficult to manage perhaps try the website version instead.

My 6yo manages his Prodigy, Code.org, and such, on a laptop shared with several siblings, just from having simple words he can spell and keeping his password in his reach. He is not ready for Duolingo however. I searched through Amazon's apps and found a few lower elementary apps that didn't require him to spell in either language and put them on a tablet for him. They're not fabulous and at times annoying to listen to, but he is picking up basic vocabulary from them and doesn't feel left out.

We are all doing Spanish. Memrise expects fluency faster and it only accepts exact spelling and punctuation. You can't click on words for a reminder like in Duolingo. There's also a timed drill that knocks less fluent kids off kilter. Duolingo is fine with close enough spelling (unless it's a gender difference like los/las, plural/singular, etc), nothing is timed unless you want it to be, and it lets you take as long as you need to progress.

I have kids from 3rd to high school using these. I waited until they passed their Duolingo tree to start them on Memrise. Once there they still go into Duolingo to keep lighting up the old modules while working through Memrise levels.

Perhaps it is different because we use the apps for both. 

I have never seen anything timed for Memrise. Also if you get the typing wrong they tell you the answer, and the next time they ask about that sentence or word they might not even have it as a question that requires typing for the answer. (Ie. It might be put the words in order, or pick the right word from four options)

Eldest finished 80% of his learning french tree (keeping it gold the whole time) and was finding it difficult to continue, so he started using memrise for something easier. 

Youngest was having difficultly with duolingo so he tried several different things. He has usually found memrise easier than duolingo. 

Both kids say that they learn most from duolingo. 

We're also on apps, on Android devices. We get timed drills every day in Memrise. Maybe the different language tracks have different drills? *shrug* I remember playing a few levels on both myself when we first started Spanish and found Memrise to move faster and expect more. (I'm learning right along with the kids.)

For what it's worth, if a kid can't easily manage logging in and out of apps or websites they're probably not really ready for Duolingo. Assuming usernames and passwords aren't complicated. Once their names and passwords are simplified put it on a post-it note or a whiteboard near where they usually do their schooling so they can reference it as needed. If the app is too difficult to manage perhaps try the website version instead.

I don't think this is true for all kids. My 7 yo has been doing DuoLingo happily for the last six months, but still struggles with log-ins. He can change the keyboard lay-out to Russian on his own, but still can't log himself in. :P

I don't think this is true for all kids. My 7 yo has been doing DuoLingo happily for the last six months, but still struggles with log-ins. He can change the keyboard lay-out to Russian on his own, but still can't log himself in. :p

Same with my 7 year old.  He has made it through a quarter of his Spanish tree, but he can't log himself in or out.

Wendy

• Like 1