Menu

First Year Homeschooling Kindergarten - Critique my plans!

alysee

Hi,

I have a very active 5 year old who I will start homeschooling in September. Her birthday is in January so she'll be 5.5. We live in Canada. I wish I could get on board with the Charlotte Mason approach but the whole zero writing until 4th grade idea and how she uses dictation just seems very foreign to me so it's a mix of classical/Charlotte Mason. 

Phonics - Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading - 4 days a week

Math - JUMP Math K - 4 days a week

Handwriting - Handwriting Without Tears K - 2 days a week

ArtGlobal Art: Activities, Projects, and Inventions from Around the World - using activities that correspond with our social studies - 1 day a week

Poetry Memorization - Random House Book of Poetry for Children - 4 days a week

Social Studies - Children Just Like Me - will be adding living books from the different countries we encounter as well - 3 days a week every other week

Science - DK Smithsonian Animal Encyclopedia - will be adding living books from any animal that she seems to take an interest in. - 3 days a week every other week

Nature Study - 1 day a week

Is this too much?

I don't think it seems like too much at all. It seems pretty balanced to me since you won't be doing everything daily.

We do phonics 5-6 days a week. It was originally 5 until my dd requested more days. But I found she needs to be reading daily to reinforce it. So she reads aloud to me daily. Originally she read Fromm BOB books and similar readers and now she reads from level 2/3 books.

I prefer to keep kindergarten very short. We chose just to cover math, handwriting, phonics, and music (learning an instrument via a Suzuki program) for kindergarten: I didn't add content subjects until first grade. If your kid has the stamina and interest, it certainly wouldn't hurt, but it certainly can wait, too. I love Handwriting Without Tears. OPGTR worked well for us, too. I am not familiar with that math program.

It depends on your goals, philosophy, and kids, but we found that doing handwriting more often during K-1 was helpful. They can't really write anything else until they've learned all of the letters, so we did it 3-4 days/week in the early years. Once they were through learning the letters and were writing words, we'd back off and do it less, or use HWOT's gray block paper for writing favorite words. I also did the numbers part of the book earlier with one kid because they kept writing them backwards in their math. Otherwise, it looks good. If you feel rushed, try switching social studies and science - alternating days, a week of each, or even a month of each, depending on what works for your family. Some people do well doing both, and sometimes you can tie them together (maps, life in Australia, and kangaroos or the Great Barrier Reef) and others have a hard time changing gears between the 2.

That seems pretty close to what I did with my first. I don't think it is too much. Just be sure you feel free to "destructure", especially in the content subjects. Having a spine might be helpful for ideas, but grabbing a random handful of books that look interesting from the library can be just as good. The most important part of science for kindergarten is being out in nature.