Menu

Any 5th graders using BA5?

Momto4inSoCal

If you are currently working in BA5 what are you plans next year? Most sequences hit pre-algebra 7th grade but BA seems to go into pre-algebra after BA5. I'm not sure if I should skip 6th grade math for DD. She's a very strong math student but I'm worried about missing something by skipping a year. We use MM also so we will have finished BA5 (as long as 5D is published before the end of the year) and MM5. 

I plan to move my kid who is in BA5 this year into AoPS pre-A next.  There seems to be a fair amount of overlap between the two, just presented differently.  I'm guessing that their pre-A goes deeper and/or farther than BA5 where there is overlap, but I really don't know.  Check out the AoPS pre-tests.  They may help you with placement decisions. I've got to say though, that I doubt that a kid who completes the BA series and then moves into AoPS pre-A is going to miss anything important.

Do you have MM6 already? If so, maybe you can run her through the chapter tests and see if there are any areas you need to cover before moving into Pre-A.

I do have MM6. That might be a good idea. If nothing else, it will help me not feel like I'm throwing her into something she's not ready for. I let her try a couple problems on alcamus today and she did fine.