Menu

good math to use with BA

mountains27

Looking for some ideas on math to use along with Beast Academy. My 10 year old is on the 3D book right now and has loved BA right on through. She does great with it and up until now I've been fine using it as her primary math. Now I'd like to add in another math program to complement BA. She is working on finishing up the fractions chapter and seems to have a good grasp but I'd like to get into that subject a bit more.

Any recommendations?

I was just looking at that online :) I have used MM before, I have grades 1-3 and my daughter did grades 1 and 2 and then moved on to just using BA because she was getting burnt out on it last year. I think that's my front runner though because I know it and like how she explains things. I'm wondering if I need to start her with the 4th grade workbook or jump up to the 5th grade. Looking at the samples I think she could get into the 5th grade stuff easily but I don't know if there are methods explained in the 4th books that are assumed when you get into the 5th book?

Well if you want to target specific areas ("I want to hit fractions"), MM dark blue can't be beat.

For curiosity's sake, my kid does CLE+ BA right now. But I don't think that's what you're looking for :)

Edited by OKBud

I was just looking at that online :) I have used MM before, I have grades 1-3 and my daughter did grades 1 and 2 and then moved on to just using BA because she was getting burnt out on it last year. I think that's my front runner though because I know it and like how she explains things. I'm wondering if I need to start her with the 4th grade workbook or jump up to the 5th grade. Looking at the samples I think she could get into the 5th grade stuff easily but I don't know if there are methods explained in the 4th books that are assumed when you get into the 5th book?

The two major skills covered in MM4 are multi-digit multiplication (mostly one digit by several digit, and just touching on two digit by two digit) and long division.

There is a short fraction chapter in MM4, but it is mostly equivalent fractions, comparing fractions and adding fractions with like denominators.

The really deep fractions chapters are in 5b.

I agree with okbud that if you are just looking for more fraction work, then the dark blue series is a good bet.

Wendy

Sounds like 4 would be stuff she has already done before, I think I'd go with 5. I don't want to just cover fractions more in depth, that's just where we are at now in the BA books so that's why I mentioned it. I want to cover everything she is learning now and has learned in the past few months with BA a little more in depth

Thank you for the advice :)