Menu

Signapore questions

MistyMountain

Maybe this will be clearer when I get my Home Instructors Guide in. They ordered that after the textbook and workbook and hopefully it will be here soon. I am looking what the textbook is teaching and going over the concept the textbook is teaching then we do textbook examples and workbook examples. It is a lot of problems between just that and there may be even more to with the HIG. Do you do all the problems from both?

When we get to multiplication section soon it is teaching mostly through skip counting and tables. I do think it may be beneficial to do some little skip counting but we watched the

Education Unboxed video recently on the distributive property of multiplication recently and he actually has been thinking of problems like how they split up the Cuisenaire rods for this math assessment he took and I think that kind of practice really help him.

Some days with Singapore it seems like there's very little, and other lessons are jam-packed with workbook problems and textbook pages.

We kind of play it by ear on how much we do each day and how much time we spend on any given concept. If something seems unnecessary at the time, I'll bookmark it to use as later on as review. And there are also times when I plan to just spend a day on something and I realize we're going to need to spend three days and do every single practice problem together.

• Like 1

DS7 is about to finish Singapore 2A. I didn't buy the HIG or the teacher's manual (I'm a math teacher). We usually work one 'pencil' a day (referring to the little 'pencil' icons at the bottom of the page after each section); we do that section in the textbook together, and then he completes the corresponding pages in the workbook on his own. For 2A/B, there are 61 'pencils' in each book, meaning 122 lessons. If you plan for 180 days of school, that leaves you with 58 days for extra practice/extra reviews. We add in here and there with the CWP and Extra Practice books. (We actually only have 152 days scheduled for math, leaving us 30 days to review, work on word problems, or play math games.)

I'm not sure if that helps, but that's the plan here.

Edited by Noreen Claire
  • Like 1

That does help. I thought the pencils might have been lessons but pencil and corresponding workbook pages can be very different amounts. Some pencils have barely any and others have a lot. He finds the concepts really easy so far but there is so much practice problems between the textbook and workbook.

Edited by MistyMountain

If I notice that he's getting the concept really quickly while we are working together, I will only give him half of the workbook problems to do on his own. If he does well on them (I check quickly when he's finished), we can play a board game or card game. We just started playing Prime Climb together, so he really wants to do well so that we have time to play together. ;-)

We work through all of the example problems in the textbook together, but if there are 8-12 other problems before the pencil, we just work through as many as we need to until my son "gets it." Then I let him skip the rest and work on his workbook independently.

We also work through one pencil a day, too. The HIG has a pacing guide at the beginning that groups lessons together into a week's worth of work. I notice that the reviews are often allotted two days and the easier lessons at the beginning of a chapter may be doubled up.

This is my first year using Singapore, so take this with salt if needed.

We use the textbook together, answering orally or on a whiteboard until it's obvious that DD has it under control. Then I hand her the workbook. Done. She goes on to do the next lesson in the workbook and is insulted that they think she needs so much textbook intervention. The next day she'll grab the workbook without asking, do the next two lessons on her own, and hand it to me to grade. When I notice she's finished a whole unit we'll shelve both of them and do the corresponding seconds in the IP and CWP, but she likes to talk with me more about these. Then we start all over.

I expect every problem in every lesson of the workbook to be completed.

DD is intense and good at math. Your mileage may vary.

Edited by SilverMoon