Menu

Laying down the rails?

ealp2009

It covers a lot- more than what normally is considered character. I find that part nice.

There is a lot for the habits, broken into smaller chunks for lessons. I find it easy to pick and choose.

It requires staying on top of what you are doing since there is so much. And reviewing and going back takes organization too.

I am glad we have it!

• Like 1

I loved it when I had two preschoolers running around. I never "did lessons" or anything....just used it as a tool for self-reflection about what I needed to be as a mother. Any tim U pull it out and flip through I A--see from my notes a desperately sleepy mother :laugh:  and B--there's always something that I go "oh, yeah!" It was worth the price for me, in the end, but I wouldn't get the new things they have to go with the main book. Especially if you have read all of CM's 6 volumes.

I debated getting it for awhile (it has been about 4 years since I got it), but I wasn't super impressed with it. I thought it was good for understanding what the habits were, and sort of how to tackle them. But if I recall correctly, I didn't get much out of it. 

Maybe not super helpful, lol. 

I did however, find a really great resource that I think has already made a change in my children after a few weeks of implementing, and that is the Family Virtues Guide. So good! Check it out if you're looking for more character building options. ;)

• Like 1

Laying Down the Rails is for you to gain insight. If you've read CM's writing you don't really need it imho. I use Laying Down the Rails for Children as a guidebook to help me work on habit-training with my kids. The "lessons" are mostly stories and poems (with some activity suggestions) that you discuss with your kids. It covers a large span of ages so I end up skipping some lessons.