Menu

question about Limits (math) ADDED to POST #1

Limits cannot be infinity right? 

Might be a super stupid question, but I copied down several examples where the teacher wrote infinity as the answer.  DS came home from his class and said UHHH no.  That can't be.  So indeed..no I don't think so.

That's rather disconcerting....

-----

Ok, so is there some sort of philosophical debate over whether or not infinity is a possible "limit" on a limit?  Because my kid is pretty adamant and did show me a few things that suggest that.  He is adamant his instructor told them that.

Use very small words when talking to me about this.  LOL  I'm learning this stuff too and really don't know. 

Edited by SparklyUnicorn

Um. 

So what we mean when we say that a limit is infinity, we mean that it grows larger than any possible bound. 

Some people informally and imprecisely will write infinity when a limit grows larger in absolute value than any possible bound (for example, 1/x as x approaches 0) but this is not correct. 

Yes, there can be a limit of infinity.

You can define that lim f(x), for x approaching a = infinity if for all N, there exists a delta such that 0<|x-a|< delta   f(x)>N.

f(x) can become arbitrarily close to infinity as x gets closer to a.

Likewise, you can define a limit of negative infinity.

• Like 3

This is one of the few things that stuck in my brain from Calc class. If you have the limit of a fraction with x in the denominator, the answer is infinity.

Careful. Not quite. For example, 7x/x tends to 7 as x tends to 0. (sin x)/x tends to 1 as x tends to 0. 

Edited by kiana
  • Like 1

Now, if there is stuff like 1/x, that would only have a one-sided limit as x approaches zero, because it makes a difference whether you come from the positive or the negative side - so the actual limit does not exist.

But the limit of 1/x^2 for x to zero does exist and is infinity.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

Um. 

So what we mean when we say that a limit is infinity, we mean that it grows larger than any possible bound. 

Some people informally and imprecisely will write infinity when a limit grows larger in absolute value than any possible bound (for example, 1/x as x approaches 0) but this is not correct. 

I think this is a bit confusing as written.  You might need to elaborate a bit for the sake of the readers.

I believe the point that you are trying to make here is that it is possible to NOT have a limit, just as it is possible to have a limit at a point where a function is undefined...

Edited by Mike in SA

I think this is a bit confusing as written.  You might need to elaborate a bit for the sake of the readers.

I believe the point that you are trying to make here is that it is possible to NOT have a limit, just as it is possible to have a limit at a point where a function is undefined...

Actually it was that I've seen people (sometimes people who should have known better -- like grad students) write that 1/x -> infinity as x -> 0 which is not correct. I thought that maybe that was what the teacher had done that her son had an issue with.

Although I probably should've clarified why it was actually wrong. :)

(For any curious observers, it's example 1 in the link chiguirre shared, and typeset there far better than I could do here)

At least I was able to convince him that it is often noted as negative or positive infinity.  Ya know, in other words, that's a thing.  But he did show me some stuff that claims it's not a thing in the strictest sense.  Which, I would not know.  So I said just make sure to ask your teacher again about that and how she wants you to handle it.

I don't mind debating stuff with him, but man can he get intense. 

Ok, so is there some sort of philosophical debate over whether or not infinity is a possible "limit" on a limit?  Because my kid is pretty adamant and did show me a few things that suggest that.  He is adamant his instructor told them that.

Use very small words when talking to me about this.  LOL  I'm learning this stuff too and really don't know. 

Yes, infinity is a possible limit.

People often try to think of infinity as an element of the real numbers.  It is not.  Infinity is a concept, not a number.  It means "greater than any chosen number." 

So, let's test his premise, based on the definition - "greater than any chosen number":

We'll play a little game with limx->0(abs(1/x)).

You pick a number and a range, and then I get to pick a smaller number. 

You just find a number "a" and a range {y: r1 < y < r2} such that abs(1/a) is contained within the range.

My objective is to find a number "b" such that abs(1/b) > r2

If I find it, then I win.

So, for infinity to NOT be the limit, you must be able to find a number "a" such that I cannot win. 

(^The above describes the definition of a limit. One of the reasons I am disappointed in calc AB/BC is that they fail to teach this properly.)

Here's the catch, I will tell you - right now - that I hereby choose b = 1 / 2r2.  I'm just going to wait my turn, after you pick your range.

abs( 1 / ( 1 / 2r2 ) ) = abs( 2r2) = 2abs(r2)

Since 2abs(r2) > abs(r2), I win, no matter what you pick.

Therefore, the limit exceeds every finite element of the real numbers.  It is in-finite.  That is precisely the definition of infinity.

(note: "finite" means assignable or countable.  You assigned a range of numbers, and I found one which was greater.)

That all may take some chewing on, but that's how limits go...

• Like 1

Yes, infinity is a possible limit.

People often try to think of infinity as an element of the real numbers.  It is not.  Infinity is a concept, not a number.  It means "greater than any chosen number."

So, let's test his premise, based on the definition - "greater than any chosen number":

We'll play a little game with limx->0(abs(1/x)).

You pick a number and a range, and then I get to pick a smaller number. 

You just find a number "a" and a range {y: r1 < y < r2} such that abs(1/a) is contained within the range.

My objective is to find a number "b" such that abs(1/b) > r2

If I find it, then I win.

So, for infinity to NOT be the limit, you must be able to find a number "a" such that I cannot win. 

(^The above describes the definition of a limit. One of the reasons I am disappointed in calc AB/BC is that they fail to teach this properly.)

Here's the catch, I will tell you - right now - that I hereby choose b = 1 / 2r2.  I'm just going to wait my turn, after you pick your range.

abs( 1 / ( 1 / 2r2 ) ) = abs( 2r2) = 2abs(r2)

Since 2abs(r2) > abs(r2), I win, no matter what you pick.

Therefore, the limit exceeds every finite element of the real numbers.  It is in-finite.  That is precisely the definition of infinity.

(note: "finite" means assignable or countable.  You assigned a range of numbers, and I found one which was greater.)

That all may take some chewing on, but that's how limits go...

Thank you.  That is very helpful! 

I'll print this out and show him.

If it helps, the actual definition of a limit is online at http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/DefnOfLimit.aspx

It requires a bit of rigor, but it's actually a bit of a "squishy" thing, once you understand it.

By the way, three things every good calculus student should know by heart: the definition of a limit, the fundamental theorem of calculus, and the mean value theorem...

• Like 1