Menu

PreAlgebra AOPS

My 6th grader was breezing through Saxon 7/6, so I followed advice and had her try Alcumus on the AOPS website.  She has been spending about an hour a day working through those problems, and now that I have a physical book to use she's telling me she'd rather use the online Alcumus instead of the book. 

My question is.. are they the same material?  Can I let her use the free online Alcumus or should I have her work through the book?  Any experienced AoPS people here please give me some advice.  I'm not sure of the best way to use this program.

• Like 1

Alumus is like Khan Academy. It does not do the teaching. You can look at hints, see steps, figure things out, but it does not contain the proof based math, the written explainations, the discovery method. As long as there is SOME curriculum, no biggie. It does not have to be AoPS. If she just needs a break to plow through some Alcumus for a while, the is reasonable too. There is nothing wrong with lots of practice problems and really spending time crunching numbers for a bit.

Reading a math book is a skill. It is a different kind of writing and a different way of expression. Completely removing all curriculum might be a bit of a steep learning curve in a formally graded or college situation later.

• Like 1

I made my boys use the book even if they did well on Alcumus. However, my kids have a light load for all their other academic subjects so the AoPS prealgebra book was useful for letting them get used to a wordy textbook. After the wordy prealgebra book, they have an easier time not falling asleep on their thick and wordy science textbooks.

I didn't tally Alcumus to the textbooks but I believed if you set the topics to be restricted to the prealgebra book, it would tally in scope. Alcumus is random in topics I think. Also Alcumus grades the answer but not the working so I find it more useful for me to know how my kids are doing by grading their work. You could of course print the Alcumus question and let her work on it then grade her working yourself before she keys the answer into the Alcumus system. It really depends on what your aim and expectations for this child is.