Menu

Dr. Hive - mystery fever help needed

Sarah CB

Ds (11) has had a fever for about five weeks now. It fluctuates from normal (maybe three or four times in the last 5 weeks) to 105. It's most often around 101.

He's tired. Says he has trouble concentrating. And his appetite is down (but it wasn't great to start with). He has a lot less energy - dh and I noticed he's a lot less feisty. He's normally an on-the-go guy who loves to spend time with his friends and talks non-stop. 

Our doctor ran blood tests and everything came back normal. We were referred to a paediatrician who also ran a bunch of tests - including for mono, Epstein-barr, and various auto-immune issues. We are still waiting for some of those tests to come back. 

The up until two days ago, his highest fever that we saw was 103. Two days ago it got up to 105. Yesterday it was up to 103.5. 

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? Or what questions I should be asking the doctor? 

Echoing above--did you call the ped at the 105 point? I'm surprised they didn't want you to come in again at least. 105 in an older child is really high.

I would be really persistent and ask what the doctor is doing. Keep a log of daily temps, symptoms, etc.

I hope you get this figured out quickly so your boy can feel better. That sounds miserable.

I knew someone (an adult) who had fevers on and off for a few months for no apparent reason.  They finally figured out that his appendix was leaking very slowly into his abdomen.  From what I remember he had no other symptoms other than feeling sort of "off."

I hope you get some answers soon.  

• Like 1

I knew someone (an adult) who had fevers on and off for a few months for no apparent reason.  They finally figured out that his appendix was leaking very slowly into his abdomen.  From what I remember he had no other symptoms other than feeling sort of "off."

I hope you get some answers soon.  

Thanks. I'm not normally one who brings the kids to the doctor often. I think this particular kid has gone a few years without a doctor's visit before this fever hit. However, I'm at the point now where, not only am I willing to keep taking the kid back to the doctor, I'm also willing to bring up random internet anecdotes. I will definitely be bringing this one up.

Echoing above--did you call the ped at the 105 point? I'm surprised they didn't want you to come in again at least. 105 in an older child is really high.

I would be really persistent and ask what the doctor is doing. Keep a log of daily temps, symptoms, etc.

I hope you get this figured out quickly so your boy can feel better. That sounds miserable.

I called, but no one answered. I gave ds some ibuprofen and it went down to 103. Yesterday his highest was 103.5. Right now he's at 102.7. 

I am waiting for a call from the doctor with the last of the test results and I'm going to ask at that point what he wants me to do if the fever spikes that high again. I kind of feel like, what are they going to do anyway? If it hadn't come down any I would have brought him into emerg, but it did go down. 

We have been keeping a log of daily highs. Unfortunately (fortunately?) symptoms are almost non-existant. Fatigue. Inability to concentrate. Occasionally a headache. Lack of appetite. That's pretty much it.

• Like 1

I called, but no one answered. I gave ds some ibuprofen and it went down to 103. Yesterday his highest was 103.5. Right now he's at 102.7. 

I am waiting for a call from the doctor with the last of the test results and I'm going to ask at that point what he wants me to do if the fever spikes that high again. I kind of feel like, what are they going to do anyway? If it hadn't come down any I would have brought him into emerg, but it did go down. 

We have been keeping a log of daily highs. Unfortunately (fortunately?) symptoms are almost non-existant. Fatigue. Inability to concentrate. Occasionally a headache. Lack of appetite. That's pretty much it.

I am glad to see you are keeping logs, maybe a pattern will appear. I know in the stress of a doctor visit it is easy to forget what happens when as well.

Imo, this child needs to go back to the paediatrician. If the doctor does not order more tests, then he should be taken to an er. He needs additional blood tests and possibly a CT scan or MRI.

I hope you get some answers very soon; it must be extremely stressful not to know what is causing this fever.

P.S. this was an afterthought and I am not knowledgeable at all about Lyme disease, but perhaps he could have some type of spirochete bacteria-based illness. Perhaps someone with knowledge of symptoms will offer some advice.

Edited by trulycrabby

They don't have an answering service? Are you stuck with this ped?