Menu

Real Science 4 Kids reviews and explanations, please?

Amy M

Someone gave me several RS4K books, and I have several questions about it.

It looks secular, is that correct?

If I want to do a pre-level with level 1 (for say, 5th and 2nd graders), could they mesh pretty well? Or does the older study his level on his own while I work with the youngers? Do the topics match up? Do I need a teacher's manual for both pre-level and level 1 in the same topic?

What grades is the pre-level for?

What do you like or not like about it?

I was given...

Physics: pre-level1 book and 2 prelevel1 lab workbooks

Chemistry: level 1 TM, student book, and lab workbook + 2 pre-level1 lab workbooks

Astronomy: level 1 TM, student book, and 2 lab workbooks

Biology: level 1 book and 2 level 1 lab workbooks

I am considering using the physics and chemistry in place of MFW's science for their 1850MOD year, which covers physics and chemistry. It would be with a fifth grader and two second graders. I'm not sure right now what I'd do with the astronomy and biology.

Religion isn't brought into the texts but, as Laura said, she is a proponent of ID.  

There are parts were pre & 1 mesh but not in all areas, so they can't really be done simultaneously.  

We used Pre when my kids were 5 & 8 and it was plenty easy for them.  We ended up finishing all four books/topics that school year.  

I liked that it got done.  Their explanations were good & stuck with my kids.  But when I looked at the level 1, I didn't like it as much.  I also felt like it was pretty expensive for what I got, considering the books weren't full-semester books for us.  Combined with then learning about the author's stances, we opted not to continue with it.  

Her views, IMO, are not problematic at that level (lower levels). I used the chemistry.  If I had any complaint it was that the books were very short (and very expensive).  That's not really an issue for you since someone gave you the books!

I think the only comment I came across is she says "it was designed to...."  I can't for the life of me remember what exactly it is she was talking about, but that didn't even stand out to me until someone here mentioned that she is into ID.  I've heard stuff worded that way in books without that bend so....

I think the pre level is fine for both 2nd and 5th.  I'm referring only to the chemistry books though because that is all I have experience with. 

Religion isn't brought into the texts but, as Laura said, she is a proponent of ID.  

There are parts were pre & 1 mesh but not in all areas, so they can't really be done simultaneously.  

We used Pre when my kids were 5 & 8 and it was plenty easy for them.  We ended up finishing all four books/topics that school year.  

I liked that it got done.  Their explanations were good & stuck with my kids.  But when I looked at the level 1, I didn't like it as much.  I also felt like it was pretty expensive for what I got, considering the books weren't full-semester books for us.  Combined with then learning about the author's stances, we opted not to continue with it.  

Do you think just doing two levels in a year would be good enough for a 5th grader? Perhaps I'd have to have him read the MFW text as well for enough?

Her views, IMO, are not problematic at that level (lower levels). I used the chemistry.  If I had any complaint it was that the books were very short (and very expensive).  That's not really an issue for you since someone gave you the books!

Thanks! It does look like I'd have to buy the TM. Do you think I need it? and do you think I'd need the TM for both pre-level and level 1 on the same topic? or get by with one. I'm not sure if I need the TM in order to do any experiments or something.