Menu

I need an egg-free pumpkin pie recipe that doesn't have that awful tofu texture...

...is there such a thing?

My oldest loves pumpkin pie more than life itself. Okay, not that much. But he loves it, bless him. Can't have eggs. I've tried and tried various tofu recipes and they are vile. Vile, I tell you!

Anyone? Do you have a tried and true pie recipe to share? Pretty please?

Guest Virginia Dawn

Well, I don't know if boxed pudding mixes are acceptable. If they are you could try making a refrigerator pumpkin pie by mixing vanilla pudding with canned pumpkin and spices. I know there are recipes like this out there in recipe land. Some even have sour cream or softened cream cheese, but no eggs.

HTH

Well, I don't know if boxed pudding mixes are acceptable. If they are you could try making a refrigerator pumpkin pie by mixing vanilla pudding with canned pumpkin and spices. I know there are recipes like this out there in recipe land. Some even have sour cream or softened cream cheese, but no eggs.

HTH

Oh! I've never even heard of that.... Thanks, I'll look 'em up!

My oldest loves pumpkin pie more than life itself. Okay, not that much. But he loves it, bless him. Can't have eggs. I've tried and tried various tofu recipes and they are vile. Vile, I tell you!

Do you blend the tofu really, really well? The more you blend it, or smack it with a food processor, the better the pie is. And be sure to use really soft tofu.

Do you blend the tofu really, really well? The more you blend it, or smack it with a food processor, the better the pie is. And be sure to use really soft tofu.

Our blender stinks, so no. But it sure seemed like I blended it forever. Sheesh, blenders are loud. Thanks. If I try another tofu recipe, I'll keep this in mind.

I made this pie for Thanksgiving last year... it was YUMMY! And NO tofu to be found in it (and no eggs either).

Thanks! I'll try this. Looks good.

BTW, have you tried hemp milk in this recipe? I find it's very rich, so I think it might work. We've been steering a little away from soy, for balance, mainly.

This one is good, and the secret is that it is Not non-fat. Keep in mind the little cardboard cartons of silken tofu are 14 oz, so you need to get two.

1 Lb Japanese firm silken tofu, drained

16 oz can pumpkin puree or 1 3/4 Cups fresh puree

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/4 ground nutmeg

1/2 salt

1 tsp. vanilla extract

3/4 cup light brown sugar

1/4 tsp. ground cloves

1/3 cup vegetable oil (not olive) I use soften Earth Balance marg.

1 tsp. ground ginger

unbaked 9 inch deep dish pie crust

What you do

Preheat oven to 350. Combine all filling ingredients

mix in a blender or food processor until smooth.

Bake about an hour.

Thanks! I'll try this. Looks good.

BTW, have you tried hemp milk in this recipe? I find it's very rich, so I think it might work. We've been steering a little away from soy, for balance, mainly.

I made some almond milk for it because I don't use soy milk either. I usually use 1 cup almonds to 5 cups water but I think I made it with 2 1/2 or 3 cups of water to make it thicker and more cream-like.

I made some almond milk for it because I don't use soy milk either. I usually use 1 cup almonds to 5 cups water but I think I made it with 2 1/2 or 3 cups of water to make it thicker and more cream-like.

Really!? My son's allergic to almonds, but I LOVE almond milk. How do you do that? Soak 'em and whirl in a blender? And do you roast the almonds first?

This one is good, and the secret is that it is Not non-fat. Keep in mind the little cardboard cartons of silken tofu are 14 oz, so you need to get two.

I thought I remembered that you'd mentioned this at Crissy's house last November, but I couldn't remember if it was you or someone else. Thanks so much!

• 9 months later...

Try using Knox gelatin in place of the eggs. If you are using a pie crust, pre cook it. Combine all your pumpkin pie filling in a sauce pot, add the gelatin in place of the eggs. Stir with a wisk while all the ingredients cook to a "boil". Then pour the pie filling into the cooked crust and chill in the refrigerator till firm. I also prepare mine with almond milk instead of using dairy. It comes out great!! And no tofu texture.

Good luck!!

• 2 years later...
Guest somuchpaint
I made this pie for Thanksgiving last year... it was YUMMY! And NO tofu to be found in it (and no eggs either).

My daughters love pumpkin pie, but have an egg allergy (in addition to gluten intolerance and several other food allergies -- but not dairy). I made a few modifications to this recipe (used real milk, used arrowroot to thicken, halved some of the spices) and my children LOVED it.

Thank you so much for your post.