Menu

Graduation Open Houses!

Xpost Chat

Please talk to me about these. Do you HAVE to do one for your grad? Does everybody do one? Is it a regional thing? Where I grew up, some kids had evening grad parties, but not a day thing when people drop by your home during designated hours of the day and you keep the food and all going. Around here, people stop by several grad open houses in a day.

Ds who has been dual enrolled at the p.s., has three things happening already: a grad ceremony and food reception put on by the homeschoolers in the region. It's an afternoon event with food and music during the ceremony, and there's time at the reception for friends to visit your table and display of all one's high school achievements.

He also will be taking part in the public school grad ceremony- a big event but all ceremony. Then, that night there is an all night chaperoned event that all the p.s. grads take part in.

After two ceremonies, a reception after one and an all night party...do you think a home open house is over doing it??? This grad also has a special trip this summer. I don't want to. There's more than enough on our plates already with getting ready for college and other siblings.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Edited by TwoEdgedSword

I did one for my oldest, and it was very fun. She has a lot of connections in many non-overlapping circles in our community (and beyond in our family), so it was nice to have one event that I could invite all those folks to join to celebrate her accomplishments . . .

My 2nd kid is graduating this May, and I'm not sure if he'll let me have a party or not . . . He thinks parents are embarrassing, so I'm not sure he wants to invite his friends to an event we are hosting . . . So, not sure what we'll do . . . I hope he lets us throw a party. 

• Like 1

They're very common in our area.

I stressed about this for #1, and it was going to be a stretch in so many ways. We already had a graduation ceremony set up with a local group where we could invite as many people as we wanted. There was a nice reception planned afterwards. We went with no open house. I couldn't manage it, and DS didn't want it.

My #2 graduates this June, and she said specifically NO OPEN HOUSE. For her, graduation is enough.

Her brother is also graduating from community college, and they both want a party with friends. But probably only a dozen teenagers or so, and maybe pizza at the park after church or something.

I'd take into account both what they want and what is reasonable for you. Don't feel like you have to!

• Like 1

I think Ds wants to. I really, really don't to with the two separate ceremonies, a reception for one and an all night party after the other. I didn't even remember the special trip he's taking across th U.S. until I saw a similar post. This is the oldest with many siblings. I think at the homeschooling reception one, you can invite all you want also.