Menu

Renter assumptions?

fastforward

Actually it depends on what is stated in the lease.

Well, of course it does. You can contractually agree to anything, but it isn't typical.   As a landlord of 15 years,  landlords of Single family homes do not customarily agree to take care of maintaining the yard, driveway, or walks.  Tenants are required to clean up their yards and not let it become overgrown.  That is what is customary, and I apologize if I lacked clarity. 

Though it does happen from time to time, as a landlord just gets tired of having to hassle tenants, or has the manpower and/or tools to just get it done himself and there are a few who do that.  In the large group I belonged to where these items are an issue (midwest), single family home maintenance of the yard, walkways, grass, greenery (except trees), and snow removal are the responsibility of a tenant in a single family home.  Different expectations exist for other units.   

Edited by TranquilMind

Actually it depends on what is stated in the lease.

Yeah oddly we once rented a house where the landlord insisted on cutting the grass.  Not that he didn't think we were capable.  I think it was a combination of him wanting to check up on stuff and not wanting to provide a lawn mower.  The lawn was super tiny anyway.  He was probably one of the best landlords we ever had!

It could vary, but around here most people renting a house would do things like mow, shovel, landscape stuff, possibly yearly things like caulking windows, furnace or water-heater maintenance, getting repairs on things like toilet or doing interior painting.

We rent half of a duplex, and the only one of those things we're allowed to do is shovel snow (it's also the only thing we have to do). We've done a few things we weren't supposed to do (like, recaulk the bathtub, cut some of the bushes, and install ceiling lights in the living room because there weren't any), but technically, we would've had to ask the landlord for permission/let the landlord do it. The landlord pays some company to mow our grass.

Agreeing with what others have said - yes renting decreases home values, but it isn't because of the renters, it is because of the off-site owners who don't live up to their portion of the bargain. Owner occupied rentals don't impact values as much because the owners are less likely to neglect property that they are currently occupying.

• Like 3