Menu

Are you a juicer :)

I drink plain 'ole carrot juice the most, though.

Sometimes I juice a beet, a red pepper, and a bunch of celery and mix it with half of a bottle of Knudsen organic, low sodium veggie blend and add a pinch of cayenne for a half raw V8 type drink.

I make a lot of green juice, too. No specific recipe, just a huge bowl of mixed green things such as: cucumber, celery, some kind of chard, dandelion greens, collard greens, parsely and a little granny smith apple. YUM!

Happy juicing!

~Lisa

Fresh Vegetable and Fruit Juices: What's missing in your body?

By N.W. Walker

This is a very small book, but very clear and concise. Norman Walker was an authority on juices and this is a great little book (118 pages). The many reasons for juicing are discussed.

Juicing for the liver is discussed, and there are recommendations but not really an outright recipe. You would need to read the whole book to get what you need out of it.

Quickly, the benefits of juicing may be to build nutrition while at the same time allowing the body to rest its digestive system in order allow the body to heal. This would utilize not just adding juices to to the diet, but doing a juice fast.

Of course, adding juices to any diet will provide the benefit of added nutrition which will still help the body to heal itself.

For the sake of the liver, it would not only be beneficial to add the juices, but to lay off the foods most hard on the liver: meat, dairy, white flour, and white sugar. A person who eats all fresh foods (raw fruits and vegetables, raw nuts, raw seeds, cold pressed fats such as flax, coconut, and olive) plus their juices can be feeling mighty fine very quickly- sometimes in as little as a week, depending on what's going on, and how long it's been going on.

Oh, I could go on and on and bore everyone to death, but I would be glad to answer any further questions!:)

ETA: Sorry to say, but the most liver supporting juices are going to be the green ones. They generally are the healthiest juices. You'd be surprised by how easy they are to drink, too. Adding an apple (or two, if you must, to start with) makes quite a sweet juice.

~Lisa

Edited by Lisa at Home
additions

We're big carrot juice drinkers the year round. But during the summer, I juice whatever I have available in my garden. The most common veggies I use are tomatoes, carrots, spinach, onion, cabbage and beets. I mostly use my VitaMix except for carrot juice. When the pulp is left in carrot juice, it's very bitter. So I normally put the carrots through my regular juicer. Otherwise, I need to add something to the carrot juice in the VitaMix like pineapple, banana and apple.

Janet

There are 4 cups in a quart, of course. Carrots vary so much in size and juiciness, that it would be difficult to say how many carrots it takes.

Although drinking it immediately is best, it's not a big deal to juice 2 days worth of carrots at once. Not so for the green juice.

Thanks!

I use a carrot base = fresh parsly is great for your blood, apples will give the juice a sweeter taste.

I really like carrot juice with a few celery stalks thrown in and parsly- very refreshing. Spinach and swiss chard are good but make sure it is clean and not too much becasue it can cause a bitter taste if not fresh.

I do carrots and apples everyday. Normally I juice about 18-20 carrots, and 2 -3 apples and I get anywhere from 3 cups to a quart from this. I have been juicing regularly now for well over a year. I find when I take in more than just the carrots on a daily basis I have tons of energy. But with the high cost of groceries I have as of late limited to my carrots and apples. And personally, it is like poison to me. I HATE carrot juice but I take it anyway:001_huh: It is just so good for you.

We're big carrot juice drinkers the year round. But during the summer, I juice whatever I have available in my garden. The most common veggies I use are tomatoes, carrots, spinach, onion, cabbage and beets. I mostly use my VitaMix except for carrot juice. When the pulp is left in carrot juice, it's very bitter. So I normally put the carrots through my regular juicer. Otherwise, I need to add something to the carrot juice in the VitaMix like pineapple, banana and apple.

Could you give me some examples of how you use a vita-mix to juice?

For a vegetable juice, I just throw in whatever I have on hand. Usually a sm. tomato, 1/2 carrot, slice of onion, 1/2 stalk of celery, 1/2 gr. pepper, sm. handful of spinach, 1/2 a beet and a cup of ice cubes. You could add a dash of salt or tobasco. I like the tobasco myself. I use the tamper to make sure everything gets pushed into the blades, about 30 to 45 sec. You need to play around and find what you like. I can pretty much drink any kind of vegetable juice.

Same with fruit. This morning I had a peach, apple, handful of frozen berries and 1/2 banana. I didn't add any ice since the berries were frozen.

Carrot juice by itself comes out very bitter. Yuck. It's because of all the pulp. In a juicer the pulp is separated from the juice, and it's sweet tasting. So if I just want carrot juice alone, I use my other juicer. In the vita mix I always put in an apple or banana or something to sweet it up.

I think they have a lot of recipes at their site.

Janet

Juicing is technically the veggies without the fiber. You can use the VitaMix if you do not have a juicer such as a Champion or Green Power, etc. Here is a video showing you how to blend (VitaMix) veggies using tomatoes as a base and then putting it through a nutmilk bag or other cloth to strain the pulp out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UdSLp3CCfg

In a high powered blender such as a VitaMix or Blendtec you can make smoothies. I make Green Smoothies every day and lately I have been also making one with the juice of a young coconut which I have drained and then a carrot, half of a beet, large leaf of collard, kale or swiss chard, dates and frozen strawberries. It is delicious.

I also make raw soups with veggies.

Hope this helps

What are your favorite recipes for juicing your way to better health?

I have nothing whatsoever to contribute re juicing for health. I just have to throw in that every time I see the title of this thread, I think of Mike Myers' mom in So I Married An Axe Murderer saying:

Look at what I've bought myself, a Juice Tiger.

Myers: A Juice Tiger?

Mom: Yes, I juice everything now. I'm on a new diet. I'm on the Weekly World News Garth Brooks Juice Diet. :D

I aim for juice once a week for all (6) of us.

I bought the Omega. I like that it works on fruits and veggies, and that it doesn't heat the juice at all. It will also handle sprouts and grasses.

Last week's lesson: You CANNOT juice okra. Trust me. :001_huh:

It just is. Mine is 15 years old and going strong. It makes a high quality juice (better than a centrifugal) plus "ice creams," nut butters and nut pates.

It's not the cheapest, but it's not the most expensive, either. On the other hand, any juicer is better than no juicer, but I wouldn't use that as an excuse not to get the best one you can.

~Lisa

Can you tell us?

We LOVE Ice Cream!

Lacy:drool:

It just is. Mine is 15 years old and going strong. It makes a high quality juice (better than a centrifugal) plus "ice creams," nut butters and nut pates.

It's not the cheapest, but it's not the most expensive, either. On the other hand, any juicer is better than no juicer, but I wouldn't use that as an excuse not to get the best one you can.

~Lisa

We try to have a juice every morning. It does work out pricey for the extra veges, but I love the health benefits, so the cost is worth it for me. I am trying to grow some veges myself, though, so cost will be better, and probably more nutrition in freshly picked, too.

We recently had a really busy month, and I got out of juicing for that time. I didn't notice any difference for the first 10 days or so, but after that my energy levels slowly got lower & lower. Dh noticed his levels dropping, too. We started juicing again a couple of days ago, and we are on our way to full energy again. It was good for me to see that there is a BIG difference in this way - also better 'regularity' for all of us.

I tend to throw in whatever I have - usually for 5 of us I'll do 15 carrots, 2 oranges, 2 lemons, 5 celery stalks, 1-2 beets, 1-2 turnips, 1 zucchini, some broccoli, and maybe cabbage (not everyday because of the goitrogenic properties of it raw).

My kids hated to have it at first, and I had to stand over them while they drank it (gagging & all, I might add!), but now they look forward to it, and while they didn't miss it for the month we didn't juice, were happy to get back into it, too.

HTH