Menu

The Tragic Heroism of Gisella Perl, "Angel of Auschwitz"

umsami

This came up on the Smithsonian Facebook page today.  Yet another story I didn't know...story about women in history...etc.

She made a tough choice.... a choice I wouldn't wish on anyone, and probably saved many lives in doing so.  Can't help but think of the women of Aleppo right now.... where some are choosing to commit suicide rather than face gang rapes.  Can't help but think am I doing enough as I sit here in my warm, dry house....with plenty of food... access to more.... access to all the healthcare I could want, etc.  My kids have been in school.... wouldn't known the sound of a bomb unless it involved a video game or cartoon, etc.  Sigh.  Lots of prayers.

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/gisella-perl/

"Gisella Perl was born in Hungary in 1907, and showed signs of being particularly gifted early in life. At the age of 16, Perl graduated first in her secondary school class, becoming the first woman and the only Jew to have done so.

Her father was hesitant to support her academic aspirations, particularly in medicine, fearing that they would lead her to abandon her faith. She assured him that they would not. Perl later married a surgeon and was working as a gynecologist in Hungary when the Germans invaded in 1944.

That year, the Nazis sent Perl, her husband, son, parents and extended family to Auschwitz. A young daughter was hidden with a non-Jewish family just before Perl’s family was taken from the Hungarian ghetto...."

• Like 3