Menu

Family conundrum

Laura Corin

66 members have voted

1. 1. Should R take out their hearing aids for dinner?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

I was just going to ask you if it's one or both.  If it's just one, that's helpful because she could just take out the noisy one perhaps.  People could be especially careful to speak into her "good" ear.  That's what we do with my mother.  My mother always likes to have my dad on her "good" side because he's good at being her translator when she's not hearing everything.

It sounds like the noise bothers several people, not just a couple kids.  Is she aware of this? How has she responded?  Is she looking for a solution or does she not really care?  

She initially thought we were making a fuss about nothing (because she couldn't hear it).  Then she fixated on its being N who had a problem with it (she finds N irritating).  Then she thought I was blaming her for the hearing aids not working.  Now she is just generally grumpy about the situation. 

She only wore one hearing aid for many years, so I hope that we manage to limp along with one until January.

She initially thought we were making a fuss about nothing (because she couldn't hear it).  Then she fixated on its being N who had a problem with it (she finds N irritating).  Then she thought I was blaming her for the hearing aids not working.  Now she is just generally grumpy about the situation. 

She only wore one hearing aid for many years, so I hope that we manage to limp along with one until January.

I'm glad that taking one out and leaving one in worked last night.  Was she still able to participate (as much as she wanted) in the family dinner that way? 

I'm glad that taking one out and leaving one in worked last night.  Was she still able to participate (as much as she wanted) in the family dinner that way? 

Difficult to tell - she was pretty grumpy.  We did the same tonight, however, and she seemed more accepting.  She doesn't do well in new situations, but now she is used to having her hearing aids checked each evening, so copes better.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1