Menu

Mervyns bankrupt...

Is Mervyns a nation wide store? I haven't been there in years but we have them all over. I haven't heard this in the media but my dd works at Kohls. Yesterday they had a special employee meeting saying this past Friday, Mervyns filed bankruptcy. They gave each employee 30 "special cards" each worth an extra 15% off the whole order, with instructions to pass them out to anyone & everyone. They said they want to pull in the Mervyns shoppers.

Great if you need to shop at Kohls but I laughed b/c if Mervyns had enough shoppers, they wouldn't be bankrupt!!

I have to find a Mervyns! Nothing like a large chain going out of business sale.

Okay, it's sad in some ways because people will lose their jobs, but I do believe that when one door closes, it can open a space for a new store down the line. Maybe Joe the Plumber will go into retail!

They filed back in August. I thought only about 15% of stores were closing?? I think the 2 stores in my town are staying open.

We are in California. My dd said they filed Friday so I wonder if in Aug they filed Chapt. 11 and Friday completed it w/ chapter 13??

I'm not sure but its my understanding the 2 in my area are going out.

Interesting also b/c I though Mervyns & Target were owned by the same company.

Target and Mervyn't been under the same corporation for years. I don't know how many but I'm thinking at least 10??

Huh, it will be interesting to see if Mervyn's goes out of business here. I'm in Bakersfield, BTW. Seems like it's a rather popular place but I haven't been there in forever.

My DD always likes their shoes. Maybe I should stop by?? :001_smile:

The store near me is closing. Everything is currently 50% off. I'm waiting for at least 70% before I do any Christmas shopping. It is a large anchor store in our mall. I also heard Linens and Things is closing here too.

OUr Linens & Things is closing - and her ei thought it was just related to the fact that a Bed Bath & Beyond opened across the street. I had a horrid customer service experience at BB&B and swore them off. UGH. Now i have no choice.....

We don't have Mervyn's here - but our Kohl's just opened last week!

I shopped at Mervyn's in CA all the time for the kids and DH.

OUr Linens & Things is closing - and her ei thought it was just related to the fact that a Bed Bath & Beyond opened across the street. I had a horrid customer service experience at BB&B and swore them off. UGH. Now i have no choice.....

We don't have Mervyn's here - but our Kohl's just opened last week!

I shopped at Mervyn's in CA all the time for the kids and DH.

LNT is going out of business completely. Even their website has everything 30% off.