Menu

Baking FIRST home/handmade APPLE PIE!

sheryl

OK, over 30 years of marriage and I'm just now baking my first Apple Pie.    It's in the oven NOW!!!!!

I have a recipe from a local chef who is featured in his own recipe/meal segment in our community. BUT,

do y'all have any Apple Pie recipes you'd like to share.

FWIW, I also printed off PW's recipe.   She uses caramel and while the two go together (apples and caramel) the only thing I could think of was that the caramel would harden and the pie would not be "cut-able".

Bring 'em on! 

Edited by sheryl
  • Like 1

now that you have achieved Apple Pie, try this one:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/super-apple-pie-recipe.html

Alton Brown rocks.  But I don't know what "ground grains of paradise" are and just leave these out. I use cornstarch (1.5TB = 3 TB tapioca flour) and cider in place of Applejack (cause I never have THAT on hand).  

Recipe tastes great.  Apple jelly makes for a really good apple flavor in the pie.

Edited by AK_Mom4
  • Like 2

honestly, with apple pie I just wing it.  It's not going to taste bad, lol.  Sometimes I let the apple slices sit in the sugar and allow the juices to come out and then I caramelize them and pour them over the apples before baking...sometimes I don't bother.  Sometimes I use brandy or calvados or whisky...or not. Sometimes I sweeten with brown sugar but sometimes maple syrup. Sometimes I toss in toasted walnuts or make the crust with a bit of cheese added in... lots of possibilities.

The only thing is that I don't like is MacIntosh apples. They cook down to mush.  I grew up in apple country and Macs were used for it's own type of pie called 'applesauce pie'. Mostly I use a mix and try to toss one granny smith in there for tartness..or not, lol

Really, they don't say 'easy as pie' for nothing.

• Like 2

Congrats on making your first! I don't make apple often, but for TG, I made my first-ever Pecan Pie. Now I'm chomping at the bit to make another.

P.S. I just used the recipe on the Karo Syrup bottle. :D

• Like 1

Congrats on making your first! I don't make apple often, but for TG, I made my first-ever Pecan Pie. Now I'm chomping at the bit to make another.

P.S. I just used the recipe on the Karo Syrup bottle. :D

Yes, Danielle!  I've made the same Pecan recipe too!  It was good. 

• Like 1

Christy,  Thanks for the tip.  I would like to add caramel next time.   The sauce that us a topping for ice cream and such?  The little, regular caramels would harden, right?

On another note, I pulled the pie from the oven at 4 and it cooled until 9:30 this evening when we sliced it!  It is sooooo good!  :)   

Like a pp said though, it's hard to mess up an apple pie LOL!

• Like 1