Menu

Anyone good at resumes, you gals have helped me before....

Prairie~Phlox

I'm trying to update my resume, the Merchandising job is new, the other stuff, I had on there and landed the merchandising job, I'm not really looking seriously, but have something that could be a good part time job to help me get something full time when my son is done with school in 2 1/2 years. Also, this is over a page, should I remove the Cashier job now that I have the merchandising current job? I'm mainly doing this to see if they'll interview me and for the interview experience, the only thing I have going is that I have a Bachelors, but it's a county job, so it's more about who you know and not what you know. If it leads to a job, that would be good though, we'll see what happens. Ooops, just added the key sentence after the first job.

Thanks!

Key Proficiencies

• Administration
  • Organization
  • Proficient Communicator
  • MS Office, Access, Excel & Word
  • Team Building and Leadership
  • Time Management
  • 59 WPM
  • Scheduling & supervision
  • Self-starter
Life Experience

Merchandiser October 2015-Current

TNG

Somewhere, MW

Performs merchandising and display activities in retail accounts as requested or directed.

• Maintain full distribution and display of products in assigned accounts
  • Plan and erect commercial displays, ensure product is accurately displayed and available for consumers
  • Ensure adherence to approved plan-o-gram
  • Maintain store presentation standards through day - to - day merchandising of products, including resets, fixture installations.
  • Rotate stock, clean and stock display
  • Assist supervisor in training other merchandisers
Administrator June 2010-December 2015

Homeschool Cooperative

Somewhere, MW

Managed 60-family academic cooperative for local homeschooling community.

• Planned and coordinated 30+ classes per year by scheduling teachers, assigning classroom helpers, and creating a class schedule and academic calendar
  • Oversaw family and student communication, complaint resolution, and student discipline
  • Worked with a 3 person volunteer board creating a budget, schedule of classes and class descriptions.
  • Registered families and 200+ students in MS Access and created family and teacher lists in MS Excel
  • Developed annual $2000-$2500 budget and handled supply procurement, accounts receivable and accounts payable
  • Coordinate with hosting church in developing an academic calendar and defining responsibilities

Assistant Painting Contractor August 2005-August 2015

DH & Sons, Painting, Carpentry, Wood Floors

Somewhere, MW

Assisted and supported the owner on a part time basis with bookkeeping and job-site prepping and painting.

• Whole house and apartment painting skills using brushes and rollers
  • Coordinate with subcontractors to see that the job was completed
  • Crew leader over 2 teen employees for apartment contract jobs
  • Keep record books up-to-date using Quicken, Make deposits, reconcile statements and follow-up on payments
Seasonal Sales Associate January 2008-August 2015

University Bookstore

Somewhere, MW

Assisted multi-national customer base with text book purchases.

• Managed cash transactions on a register
  • Interacted with the customers that came to the counter
  • Checked for the price of products and any discounts or offers
  • Received coupons and deducted the said amount from the purchase
Education

Bachelor of Science, Consumer & Families Sciences, Some University, Somewhere, MW

Blank Blank High School, North, MW

Edited by Prairie~Phlox

I am not an expert, but I don't mind giving you my opinion. I would try to keep it on one page if you can. The only reason I would go over a page is if you have some amazing skills pertaining to a certain job you are trying to land. I think you could cut your cashier experience. I also don't think you need to include where you went to high school. I'm not actually sure what this sentence from your resume means: Performs merchandising and display activities in retail accounts as requested or directed. Do you mean you perform merchandising and display activities for retail accounts? Also, I don't think you need to keep that part of that sentence that says "as requested or directed." It makes if sound as if you can't work on your own and need lots of direction and/or supervision. If there is room under your bachelor's degree, I might explain a little bit about what skills you gained from your degree. I'm not exactly certain what a degree in consumer and family science entails. I hope that was at least a little bit helpful. Good luck in your job hunt.

I would probably place key proficiencies at the end rather than the beginning.  I would not include high school information (unless there was some specific connection to the job I was applying for).  I would leave out the "as requested or directed" with the lead sentence for the most recent job.  Under the painting job, I would put all of the bullet points in a verb/action form to be consistent (and change "keep" to "kept" so that it is all past tense.

One page is preferable unless you have items that are particularly significant to the job that take up more than one page.  Sometimes formatting can be played with (e.g. putting Merchandiser, TNG, date1-date2 on one line) to make the items fit on one page if necessary.

Good luck! 

I would probably place key proficiencies at the end rather than the beginning.  I would not include high school information (unless there was some specific connection to the job I was applying for).  I would leave out the "as requested or directed" with the lead sentence for the most recent job.  Under the painting job, I would put all of the bullet points in a verb/action form to be consistent (and change "keep" to "kept" so that it is all past tense.

One page is preferable unless you have items that are particularly significant to the job that take up more than one page.  Sometimes formatting can be played with (e.g. putting Merchandiser, TNG, date1-date2 on one line) to make the items fit on one page if necessary.

Good luck! 

Thanks, I caught the "kept" after I posted this.  One thing from updating a previous resume when I was actually doing the job.  :p

Thanks for your input.