Menu

Math -- like Singapore without weaknesses??

profmom

I love that SM teaches deeper mathematical thinking, with word problems that require thought rather than just plugging the numbers into whatever type of problem is being taught in that unit.  The bar models are great -- I don't expect to find another program with those.  

The "weaknesses" for us are that sometimes the program goes too far in how quickly and deeply it asks the students to apply the new concepts (ie: it's really hard! -- good, but can be bad if taken too far), and there isn't built-in review to make sure the concepts stay fresh.  (The concepts build, but there aren't problems similar to the past chapters to keep kids from forgetting.)  Oh, and math facts have to be practiced and drilled separately.

Any thoughts on a math curriculum for grammar stage?  Overall, I like SM, but I wonder if there's something similar without the issues we tend to have.

Are you using the Standards Edition?  Because there is a review set after each chapter.  Instead of doing it all at once, we would do a few problems each day.  We also did the Challenging Word Problems book a year behind, which helped incorporate review.  You could also get the Extra Practice book and run it a semester behind.

I agree that sometimes there are disconnects between the instruction and what students are asked to do.

• Like 5

Thanks, guys!  

I've used SM Primary previously and am now using Math in Focus -- neither have had the built-in review (other than needing to know past concepts for a few of the current word problems).  I've used Extra Practice (a semester behind) & Challenging Word Problems in the past, but they are extra books to schedule.  =D  Just wondering if there is something that already includes review and still teaches the wonderful mathematical thinking and problem solving, but maybe doesn't ask for as large of leaps in application of new concepts.

I'll look at Math Mammoth!  Any thoughts on how it compares/contrasts to SM?

Edited by profmom

Compared to Singapore, math mammoth is a little more incremental and there is more practice provided. I think the word problems are comparable to using cwp a year behind. It is less visually appealing; there's little color, there's less white space, and there are no cartoonish-looking kids. The sequence is a little different too, but use the placement test. They both cover the same stuff when you've gotten to the end (mm vs primary I mean, iirc standards is a little ahead of both).

• Like 1

Oh, also, if you buy mm digitally you can make as many customized reviews as you wish. I work out of two chapters at a time to make the program a bit more spiral. I print the chapter reviews and cumulative reviews out at the same time I print the worktext. Then I just put them in wherever is an papropriate place since the last time of using that material. Then I proclick it. This lets us do math in an open and go fashion. It's also very independent for us.

• Like 1

Math Mammoth is WONDERFUL!  Same approach, but much more incremental.  The word problems are not as challenging, but otherwise it is equal to Singapore.  My mathy kid prefers Singapore as he finds it annoying to have to practice each little teeny-tiny step.  My non-mathy kids are doing Singapore as well just because that what the school requires, but I introduce topics with Math Mammoth.  They much prefer the more explicit teaching.

• Like 1

Math in Focus (new, improved Singapore) is my favorite math curriculum, but while it breaks things down better than PM it still lacks the spiral review. Things are reviewed every couple of chapters and at the end of each semester, but we needed more variety, more often. I just supplement with Math Minutes at the same grade level. It's easier for me to add in a missing piece than to change the whole thing.

Math in Focus does have more support for the student: more time building up to concepts and more opportunities to customize (with extra practice, reteach, and enrichment workbooks). You can sign up for an evaluator account and print the worksheets even if you stick with PM, since the programs have nearly the same S & S.