Menu

Literary analysis online or DVD mid-year start?

I'm wondering what is available that begins mid-year?  I will be pulling my 7th grader out of PS after the semester.  She has been HS up until this year.  We have not been thrilled about the lack of academic rigor at school.  DD has not done any literary analysis previously other than us discussing read-alouds. She has a 12th grade reading level so I think she should be able to reasonably handle a 9th grade literature class.  I have seen the Veritas Press self-paced, but I don't like how they cram in more books than my college literature classes.

She will be using Cover Story for writing as well as BJU Writing and Grammar for skills review.  I appreciate your input!

Echoing Julie: Center for Lit is only once per month and pricey, but top notch discussions. (Slightly cheaper if you call and choose the traditional no output class)

Other options are Roy Speed's Shakespeare classes. Also pricey, shorter length, one Shakespeare work but incredibly taught. (No writing, just reading and attending class.)

Those are both amazing lit discussion classes with no busy work.

I'm wondering what is available that begins mid-year?  I will be pulling my 7th grader out of PS after the semester.  She has been HS up until this year.  We have not been thrilled about the lack of academic rigor at school.  DD has not done any literary analysis previously other than us discussing read-alouds. She has a 12th grade reading level so I think she should be able to reasonably handle a 9th grade literature class.  I have seen the Veritas Press self-paced, but I don't like how they cram in more books than my college literature classes.

She will be using Cover Story for writing as well as BJU Writing and Grammar for skills review.  I appreciate your input!

One thing: if your student has never done any literary analysis and is not familiar with literary elements and how to look for them and think about how they are used, you might want to do some works at more of a young adult level to focus on finding and discussing the literary elements of the book and your beginning literary analysis, and then do the meatier (12th grade) works at your DD's reading level for solo reading or read alouds, but for NOT analyzing.

Essentials in Literature is DVD-based:

grade 7 - (coming in Jan. 2017)

grade 8 - note: Night (Wiesel) is the novel -- psychologically intense and heavy for this age

grade 9

You might "dip a toe" in the water of literary analysis discussion by signing up for 1-2 of the 1-month long book club classes from Brave Writer next semester, and do your own Lit. for the rest of the semester:

Arrow Book Club:

Jan = The Green Ember (Smith)

Feb = Bud, Not Buddy (Curtis)

Mar = Out of My Mind (Draper)

Apr = A Long Walk to Water (Park)

May = The Secret Garden (Burnett)

Boomerang Book Club:

Jan = Mountains Beyond Mountains (Kidder)

Feb = The Crossover (Alexander)

Mar = Divergent (Roth)

Apr = The chosen (Potok)

May = Echo (Ryan)

June = To Kill a Mockingbird (Lee)

You might also consider a "DIY" approach for next semester: just select 3 works to go deep with and practice beginning "formal Literature" with some individual lit. guides, and still enjoy a number of works to go with your History or for personal interest. Ideas:

Memoria Press

Anne of Green Gables (7th)

The Bronze Bow (7th)

The Hobbit (7th)

Tom Sawyer (8th)

Treasure Island (8th)

Garlic Press Discovering Literature: Challenger

The Hobbit

The Odyssey

The Giver

To Kill a Mockingbird

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

My 6th grade dd just joined Center for Lit, which means she would have only missed 3 sessions and will catch the fourth. She plans on listening to the recordings of the discussions she's missed and taking notes. We're doing the discussion only option, not the writing.

• Like 1

Great advice Lori, as always!!!! Two thumbs way up!

One thing: if your student has never done any literary analysis and is not familiar with literary elements and how to look for them and think about how they are used, you might want to do some works at more of a young adult level to focus on finding and discussing the literary elements of the book and your beginning literary analysis, and then do the meatier (12th grade) works at your DD's reading level for solo reading or read alouds, but for NOT analyzing.

Essentials in Literature is DVD-based:

grade 7 - (coming in Jan. 2017)

grade 8 - note: Night (Wiesel) is the novel -- psychologically intense and heavy for this age

grade 9

You might "dip a toe" in the water of literary analysis discussion by signing up for 1-2 of the 1-month long book club classes from Brave Writer next semester, and do your own Lit. for the rest of the semester:

Arrow Book Club:

Jan = The Green Ember (Smith)

Feb = Bud, Not Buddy (Curtis)

Mar = Out of My Mind (Draper)

Apr = A Long Walk to Water (Park)

May = The Secret Garden (Burnett)

Boomerang Book Club:

Jan = Mountains Beyond Mountains (Kidder)

Feb = The Crossover (Alexander)

Mar = Divergent (Roth)

Apr = The chosen (Potok)

May = Echo (Ryan)

June = To Kill a Mockingbird (Lee)

You might also consider a "DIY" approach for next semester: just select 3 works to go deep with and practice beginning "formal Literature" with some individual lit. guides, and still enjoy a number of works to go with your History or for personal interest. Ideas:

Memoria Press

Anne of Green Gables (7th)

The Bronze Bow (7th)

The Hobbit (7th)

Tom Sawyer (8th)

Treasure Island (8th)

Garlic Press Discovering Literature: Challenger

The Hobbit

The Odyssey

The Giver

To Kill a Mockingbird

• Like 1