Menu

Buying a counter depth fridge TODAY - help!

jjeepa

We just went through this.  Consumer Reports recommended the GE Profile the most.  In the end we went with the Kitchen Aid, because it wasn't ranked much lower and my DH loved the look of the handles.  It was also on sale, which helped.  In the end, I don't think there's any right choice.  Samsung is always highly recommended, but our last fridge was a Samsung and it died after two years.  The 70+ year old salesman at our mom and pop appliance store wouldn't actually recommend a brand to us.  He said they get repair calls on all of them today and that while energy efficiency has increased dramatically, they all seem to end up in the landfill within 10 years instead of 20.  He told us the safest bet would be an old fashioned freezer on top, simple fridge with turn dial controls.  Of course, I wanted a stainless steel french door counter depth one, so we have digital controls.  Good luck!  It's kind of crummy spending $2000 on something and just hoping for the best, isn't it? 

• Like 1

I've never had any issue with mine, and it is    2 1/2?? years old??.  I have a GE profile.  (I've have/had other GE profiles, and been happy with them.  I loved my old profile dishwasher, but I wanted on that was quieter.  my mistake.)

I think it was a samsung I was reading would require a reset if the power went off . . .(reading reviews on amazon.)  that freaked me out enough I didn't buy the one I was leaning towards.

make sure drawers open with only one door open.

I have the 36" width.  I love having a fridge that doens't stick out into the room. I'd had a 29cuft s x s - and boy was it out there.  . . .)

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

We just went through this.  Consumer Reports recommended the GE Profile the most.  In the end we went with the Kitchen Aid, because it wasn't ranked much lower and my DH loved the look of the handles.  It was also on sale, which helped.  In the end, I don't think there's any right choice.  Samsung is always highly recommended, but our last fridge was a Samsung and it died after two years.  The 70+ year old salesman at our mom and pop appliance store wouldn't actually recommend a brand to us.  He said they get repair calls on all of them today and that while energy efficiency has increased dramatically, they all seem to end up in the landfill within 10 years instead of 20.  He told us the safest bet would be an old fashioned freezer on top, simple fridge with turn dial controls.  Of course, I wanted a stainless steel french door counter depth one, so we have digital controls.  Good luck!  It's kind of crummy spending $2000 on something and just hoping for the best, isn't it? 

This is exactly what my research has indicated and it's such a bummer!  Yes, we need a stainless steel model too as we will probably sell this house in about two years and I know that's still the most desirable look.  Besides, I do like it too  :001_smile:  But, yeah...the $2000 price tag on a big risk is pretty unsettling. 

Thanks for your feedback!  I'll look at the GE.  

I did not like my counter depth fridge that was the standard width. Cakes or casseroles never fit properly, and we constantly ran out of room. We now have a wide counter-depth fridge which I like much better.

Ah, good to know!  Can you tell me what brand you have and if you don't mind, also how long you've had it?  Thank you!

I've never had any issue with mine, and it is    2 1/2?? years old??.  I have a GE profile.  (I've have/had other GE profiles, and been happy with them.  I loved my old profile dishwasher, but I wanted on that was quieter.  my mistake.)

I think it was a samsung I was reading would require a reset if the power went off . . .(reading reviews on amazon.)  that freaked me out enough I didn't buy the one I was leaning towards.

make sure drawers open with only one door open.

I have the 36" width.  I love having a fridge that doens't stick out into the room. I'd had a 29cuft s x s - and boy was it out there.  . . .)

Thanks for this feedback.  I will check on that drawer issue.