Menu

need a hug - car trouble

gardenmom5

yesterday - my 17yo car that has rarely had issues (and I really like), and nothing really serious - decided to make a funny sound and start steaming. . . . it was polite and waited until I was on my street and pulling into my driveway.

turns out there is a hole in the radiator.  ok, we can fix that. . . . . . except . . . the hole came from a broken tie rod.

so, depending upon how much that costs - it might just be buy a new car. . . which wasn't in the budget yet.

oh - and I had a dentist appointment today, and he wants to do a crown (he can probe up under a filling).  he's concerned if I wait one month (to jan) - I might need a root canal.  a crown for Christmas. again.  (this is the THIRD!!!!!)  at least I like this dentist better than the last one.  I think he does better work.

I haven't even decided what I want (i dragged him along to test drive cars because how often we buy cars on the fly.)  I liked the highlander - but have reservations.  I hated the pilot - but it looks like it has more storage space.

dh keeps pressing home we really only have one to drag with us places... .and if we need more space for travel, we can always rent a suburban.  arrrrggggghhhhhh. :svengo:

I hate days like that - our vehicles repairs never come when bills aren't due and paychecks are plentiful, it's always the mental and financial pile on.

Dentist and car both - massive hugs!

the body shop looked at it - they think they can just unbolt the tie-rod from the frame, and replace it with a new one.  it's a 17yo car, so I don't know what is involved with finding the part.  dh was much more chipper.

then it will have to be towed back to the repair place for a new radiator. . . . (they kept the front bumper as collateral when it was towed to the body shop.)